Like an Aztec sacrifice to the automotive gods they are cutting the heart of my truck

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
out.

well, not really. Just pulling the engine so that we can fix a few things and i can clean and reseal it :embarrassed:

Apparently my father-in-laws shop is waiting on cars and parts to show up and they have no other work so him and one of his guys are going to pull the engine out this afternoon since theres nothing better to do. I have to take care of some stuff at home so I'm going into work late and I might stop by and take some pics of my disemboweled truck. :)

in happier (if leakier) days:

IMG_0974.jpg

IMG_0976.jpg

have them cover up all the hoses and stuff and clean out that engine bay while the motor is out! Spray on some paint if it needs it. I did that with my old alfa while the motor was out and it really cleaned things up.

Pull the whole engine out and drop a supercharged Vette engine in there. :helper:

um, no.

have them cover up all the hoses and stuff and clean out that engine bay while the motor is out! Spray on some paint if it needs it. I did that with my old alfa while the motor was out and it really cleaned things up.

Thats the plan. I'm cleaning and painting EVERYTHING while I have the opportunity.

The sheperd looks worried about the truck. Jack looks more chill.

Cool shots! I love stuff like that. If I find a pic of my alfa with the motor out during clean and repaint, I may post it just for fun and giggles.

Last edited:
Old Alfas have hemis. Aluminium alloy cylinder head with hemispherical combustion chambers. Basically the same motor from the 50s well into the 90s.

800px-Alfa_Romeo_1750_GTV_engine.jpg

mine is the 2.0 liter version of this. Mine has the same euro airbox and has side draft carbs (Dellorto) rather than the mechanical FI it came with in the states. I also took the fan off the belt, and put in an electric one. this pic is from the interwebz.

Probably not a good fit for your truck though.

yeah..it's a little small :tongue:

we've discovered so far that my truck probably had an inline 6 cyl engine originally. Once we have the engine out we can finally get the casting numbers off the back and find out what it actualy is (besides a small block v8).

An inline 6 would make sense in that truck I think. I bet a lot came that way.

most of them, I think. But very few came with Powerglide automatic transmissions like mine and it has the custom appearance package, too. Sadly it also has one of the worst Earl Schieb-type paint jobs I've ever seen, too.

most of them, I think. But very few came with Powerglide automatic transmissions like mine and it has the custom appearance package, too. Sadly it also has one of the worst Earl Schieb-type paint jobs I've ever seen, too.

My buddy's '63 PU had the 327/Powerglide combo.
My '63 Impala had the same motor/tranny, too, but was de-stroked to 302 and ran 12.5:1 pistons. Shifting at 6000 RPM put it at between 50 and 55 MPH!

Back