Let's talk tuning machine heads....

parrotheada1a

Resident Pitmaster
I've been thinking of upgrading my 2004 Am Std Strat with some locking tuning heads. I'm looking to keep them bright chrome, plus keep the original look and I know Fender sells them. That being said, are there any better options? I just watched a video... drop in fit but the guitar is only a couple years old. I'm hoping our builders can give some advice. Thanks in advance!

I do not like locking tuners. They do not tune any better than non-locking tuners, even though that's what people think they do. Their purpose is simply to minimize the number of windings around the post. IMO, if you want to "upgrade", find a higher ratio tuner. They will help you get better tuning stability and intonation.

I do not like locking tuners. They do not tune any better than non-locking tuners, even though that's what people think they do. Their purpose is simply to minimize the number of windings around the post. IMO, if you want to "upgrade", find a higher ratio tuner. They will help you get better tuning stability and intonation.
+1

If the guitar has a vibrato and you despise locking nuts as I do, then locking tuners are a must. On a guitar like a Stratocaster, they will improve your tuning stability considerably when you whammy. They also make quick or "emergency" string changes a breeze. There's a reason why some folks love em.

I've had good experiences with Schaller and Grover. Sperzel somewhat less so.

For the OP, the Fender/Schaller ones are fine. They will drop right in and do the job. I use Hipshot because of the mounting system they have. Makes them a breeze to install.

I think it makes string changes way easier because they grab the string and you don't have to wind the strings a thousand times. That's the only reason I use them.

429025000000000-00-500x500.jpg

I also do not like locking tuners. I've had too many break on me. I'll stick with Grovers, Hipshots, etc.

I've had a Sperzel or two lock up on me. The little dowel in the post gets stuck and you have to tap it with a hammer to knock it back down.

I haven't used Sperzels much. Only on a Gretsch I had years ago and my McFeely. I've had the McFeely over 3 years and it has gotten the most work in that time, no issues with them yet.

Split shaft are the only acceptable alternatives to locking. I have had them slip on a high E or 2 over the years though. Probably due to my lack of stringing skills

Pull the string tight, pull back 3 frets, cut the string. Stick the string in the hole, wind.

I have Hipshots on one, Kluson on another and Harley Benton house brand on another. If I had to choose I would stick with Hipshot if money wasn't a factor. That said, the HB's work just fine and seem solid, I just don't know how long they'll hold out.

I'm not a locking tuner fan. Tried a few...some were a real hassle to use (the original Sperzel-designed PRS were physically painful to use), others got stuck, none held tuning any better than any good non-locking tuner, regardless of trem use. They do NOT replace a locking nut for Floyd Rose, they do nothing to stop a string from lifting out of a slot in a dive bomb. I prefer split-shaft on Fender and properly winding a standard post (see below). As long as the ratio is 15:1 or higher (preferably higher), I'm good.

hqdefault.jpg

I concede string changes are faster with locking tuning...until you have to find your deadblow hammer to unstick a Sperzel pin.

Back