Let's talk strings...

cvogue

Yes, that's Oolong. :)
OK, yeah I know this has been done a bazillion times, so let's do it again! What kind of strings do you use and why? Opinions on brands always welcome too.

I seem to bounce between Ernie Balls and D'Addarios (9's). EB's sound really good when new and they seem to have more high end edge to them which I like. I switched back to D's last night and I was very pleased with the tone at practice today. Beefier, more "oomph" which I really liked and from what I remember the D's sound better for longer. Again the EB's sound great when brand new but they seem to fade quickly.

What say you?!

For the record we play classic rock, mostly distorted, AC/DC, ZZ Top, Zep, VH etc...

I have been using Dean Markley Blue Steel for about 20 years. I like them on an LP. D'Addario on my Tele and Epi 339Pro.

Mostly Ernie Ball 10s...

My hybrid Stray/Tele gets GHS Nickel Rocker 10s...they are a semi-flat wound that really work on that guitar...

My acoustics get phosphor bronze lights, 11-52, either D'addario or EB Earthwood...

D'Addario XLs or Ernie Ball Slinky for most of my electrics. On my Steinberger guitars I use LaBella stainless steel double ball (type 2 TT) or soldered wrap (Type 3 TT).

I can't say that I'm faithful to any brand. Today I bought 7 string Power Slinky, D'add's NYXL 09-46 and Dunlop 10's
I like the NYXL's but not the price. EB's just seem to dull quicker than the rest.
I always liked DR strings but they are getting harder and harder to find.

I don't know the numbers, as I switched recently, but I use medium-light D'Addario strings on my acoustic. I hardly ever use my electrics, so I just get 10s at the music store in the preferred brand of the guy behind the counter.

I switched from GHS to D’Addario on acoustic, electric, and bass years ago. I’ve been quite happy with them. And I think it’s cool that they mill their own wire in the USA instead of buying it from China or Germany. I just wish they milled piano wire so I could use it for my sitar instead of buying Roslau.

I've bounced back and forth between Ernie Ball, D'addario and DRs. Currently I have D'addarios on my guitars, but I am fine with any of those 3.

I used GHS Boomers for years and years and then something happened to the quality. I switched to D'Addario XLs and stayed with them ever since even though I don' think they are as good a string as the Boomers were at their best.

Nano Web lights something or other on the Acoustics. Augustine Blues for the classical.

I've done the heavy gauge thing (from 10s to 12s with an unwound G) but settled on 9s or 9.5s for my old age. If Ed can make them sound good I suppose I could go with them. I don't own anything but 25.5 inch scale but if I had a Paul or 335 I guess I'd give 10s or 11s a shot again.

Used a lot of brands in the past but used Slinky's now pretty faithfully for 10+ years.

My experience was D'Addario's lasted longer but would "dull" quickly.

D’Addario 10's with a wound G on my Les Paul models. That will probably change back to Ernie Ball 10's at next order though because the D’Addarios causes turning problems at the nut.

D’Addario flatwound 10's on a semi hollow I have.

D’Addario 9 to 65 on my 8 string

Ernie Ball 9's on all other electrics

Elixer 10's and 12's on 3 acoustics

Musician's Gear 12's on one acoustic and I have to clean them often.

I have a set of Musician's Gear 9's I'm going to try on an electric at some point.

I've been a D'Addario user exclusively for probably 10 years or more. XL 9s or 10s on electric, depending on scale length, and phosphor bronze 12s on the acoustic have served me very well.
I got my first Martin a month or so back, and the salesman threw in some Martin strings. As soon as these shitty, overpriced strings get a little rusty I'm going back to my D'Addario phosphor bronze. They sucked the life out of this glorious guitar, and it makes me so angry.

They last me a long time and I like how they sound. Not as bright as other strings on the market.

f8b8449e-29d5-4602-b291-209bd92c15bf_1.359b03948f396321d339c0a96991a550.jpeg

I prefer medium strings (11s on electric, 13s on acoustic). I like d'Addarios phosphor bronze and EXP coated. I have also enjoyed Everly strings, but they're hard to find.

I used GHS Boomers for years and years and then something happened to the quality. I switched to D'Addario XLs and stayed with them ever since even though I don' think they are as good a string as the Boomers were at their best.

That’s what happened with me. I would put the Boomers on and they just sounded dead, like shitty old Chinese strings the come on cheap guitars. They were great strings in the 1990s when I started playing. Nothing else could take the abuse my heavy hand put out back then. I could trash a set of Fender bullets in a day. Before I discovered boomers I literally bought six extra .010s to go with ever pack of strings I bought.

I use mostly Thomastik-Infields. They're on about 80% of my guitars. I don't like changing strings and they last a long time. They're also pretty low tension so I don't have to do much neck adjusting. I've got EB's on my Buddy Guy strat because that's what Buddy plays. Gibson B.B. King sig strings on my Lucille for obvious reasons. One of my Strats has Fender Bullets. The 12 strings have Rickenbacker strings. The acoustics mostly have Martin Silk and Steels because I hate getting black lines on my finger tips. Also a couple have magnetic pups and steel picks up better than bronze. About half are flatwound.

Back