let's talk kitchen knives !

DdBob

Dogue in teh desert
let's do it !

I just ordered this one
https://www.vermontfarmtable.com/products/paring-knife
Le_Economie-Paring-Knife-Teal-1_2048x2048.jpg

I'm a big big fan of all things Opinel knives which I have a few of (but as of YET no culinary Opinels) but I wanted a different brand frenchie knife just for shits and giggles and i really dig the color. So I pulled the trigger on the bad boy above.

Show us yer knives, regale us in with your favorite knife story (perhaps you accidentally cut of the tip of your finger and it landed in the salad bowl or whatever)...your dream sharpening stone, etc, etc.....let's talk knifes munch0

My main knives are Wusthof.

I really lust after those Japanese knives though, the ones with the layers of different-colored steel. They are works of art.

My two main knives are the Spanish Henckel’s. They get the job done just fine without paying a premium for German steel. My bread knife is cheap Pure Komachi—not like bread knives last.
My serrated vegetable (tomato) knife is a Wusthof. Steak knives are just Chicago Cutlery; no reason to spend a lot on those since all they get used for is tender meat and that doesn’t really dull the blades. For sharpening I have a DMT diamond sharpener that rarely gets used (I bought it to clean up knives that I let go to shit) and a ceramic sharpening steel for general use.

I had been using the same knives (Chicago Cutlery supplemented with an old Dexter carbon steel chef’s knife) for at least 20 years, but recently I got a cheap Zyliss Santuko in purple (which the wife adores) and a Ken Onion Rain 10” chef knife. Also, this year I got this Work Sharp guided sharpening system, and my wife got me the accessory kit (comes with an extra coarse and extra fine diamond “stone” and a leather strop) along with the field sharpening system for my outdoor knives. My kitchen knives have never been sharper.

Work-Sharp-Guided-Sharpening-System1.jpg

When my daughter moved back East my Opinel #118 got packed with other small kitchen stuff. We had a mix up with packing.

The #118 made the trip.
I got stuck with a Farberware SS chef,and carving knife.
They are not great,but I can get them sharp. They work fine for now.

I do have another 118 and a paring knife on order.

I do love the little opinel wood knives - I’d had a couple in carbon steel many years ago, and last summer I got a stainless one as a present for being involved in a wedding. Lovely little things!

I do love the little opinel wood knives - I’d had a couple in carbon steel many years ago, and last summer I got a stainless one as a present for being involved in a wedding. Lovely little things!
Opinel's are about the coolest knife ever. just so simplistic and "organic" feeling and that locking mechanism is perfect.

a no. 12 and a no. 8 which were my brothers . The other no. 8 in the package along with the Old hickory kitchen set were gifted to me by my bro on my 41st B'day 2011 and it was actually on a camping trip. I had driven up in the dark after work to a mutual spot we knew and he had been there all day as he took the Friday off so he was already in the drink and teh weed when i got there about 9 pm and then he gave me the knifes as my birthday present :). So they will always be my prized kitchen knifes...all carbon steel

IMG_0971.jpg
IMG_0972.jpg

We have a basic set of Forschner Fibrox knives plus a JCK Kagayaki CarboNext Gyuto. The CarboNext steel is is a fairly high hardness, high carbon steel that’s somewhat stain resistant; basically D2. Very tough so its not the easiest to sharpen but it stays very sharp with use longer than tradition carbon steel or most of the stainless formulations I’ve used. Love the blade shape and how the knife handles

vCP4bnyShVCO8Fey6U3K1eDCyp24mb9aTpAHernm3lI_2CBQNM4UJcaLxSKZpo5Jux4Z63BhmrBupbsbi8Jd6gkJA.jpg

I have a bunch of shit knives.

I have one good knife.

I have an awesome set of steak knives that I keep in a box and they don't get used to often.

Back