Let's talk intonation...

cvogue

Yes, that's Oolong. :)
So I've heard from a tech and the other guitarist and bassist in my band that my intonation sounds a bit off on my PRS. I took it in to have a little bit of work done on it a while back and and the tech mentioned that it was off "quite a bit".

I've tried to adjust it and I think it's closer... but I'm having problems with the G string, it still is slightly sharp when fretted at the 12th fret and I'm nearing the end of the line for the adjustment screw on that string. :confused:

I saw Mark's thread about the fact that a good tech can get a guitar intoned better than the average player can, I'm wondering what they would do besides make adjustments like I'm making.

What say you guys?!

I actually have my Epi 339Pro at the shop now for a setup. It didn't have a problem like your guitar,but I just can't get a setup perfect.
Paying a pro is my way to go.

So I've heard from a tech and the other guitarist and bassist in my band that my intonation sounds a bit off on my PRS. I took it in to have a little bit of work done on it a while back and and the tech mentioned that it was off "quite a bit".

I've tried to adjust it and I think it's closer... but I'm having problems with the G string, it still is slightly sharp when fretted at the 12th fret and I'm nearing the end of the line for the adjustment screw on that string. :confused:

I saw Mark's thread about the fact that a good tech can get a guitar intoned better than the average player can, I'm wondering what they would do besides make adjustments like I'm making.

What say you guys?!

Does this bridge have individual saddles or is it one of these:

s2-singlecut-bridge.jpg

If it's this, then you may want to consider buying one of the replacement types with adjustable saddles. That said, these were supposed to be pretty dead-on when the E-strings were properly intonated. However, they did not account for various string gauges, just whatever PRS sent them out with.

If the bridge has adjustable saddles, then the tech shouldn't have told you it was off, he/she should have reset your intonation. New strings, good tuner and some time and you can set it yourself with adjustable saddles.

prs-tremolo-3.png

Bridge looks a whole lot like this... On the G string the spring is pretty well mashed up, not much more room to go.

prs-tremolo-3.png

Bridge looks a whole lot like this... On the G string the spring is pretty well mashed up, not much more room to go.

Okay, the classic PRS vibrato bridge. Again, the tech should have adjusted it, not just told you it was off. It should have gone down as follows.

"Your intonation was off, so I adjusted it along with the other work."

Poor service. Even if there's an issue with the saddle and the screw, they should have caught it and let you know...and fixed it if they had the parts. At the very least told you what was wrong and offer to get the parts to fix it, pricing the parts and work.

Okay, the classic PRS vibrato bridge. Again, the tech should have adjusted it, not just told you it was off. It should have gone down as follows.

"Your intonation was off, so I adjusted it along with the other work."

Poor service. Even if there's an issue with the saddle and the screw, they should have caught it and let you know...and fixed it if they had the parts. At the very least told you what was wrong and offer to get the parts to fix it, pricing the parts and work.

Yeah, to be fair though they were fixing a quick little problem with the bridge, (one of the springs flew the coop) and I wanted it back quickly so they didn't do any additional work. Although a phone call saying "Hey your intonation is off, we can fix it for you quickly for an extra few $" would have been nice.

Wasn't my usual tech I deal with, some other guy. Not impressed with him...

Are those .010 gauge strings? Fret the G string at the twelfth fret lightly and tune to pitch. How flat is the open G string? Does your low E also sound sharp as you fret up the neck or if you play an open G chord does the low E sound sharp?

Are those .010 gauge strings? Fret the G string at the twelfth fret lightly and tune to pitch. How flat is the open G string? Does your low E also sound sharp as you fret up the neck or if you play an open G chord does the low E sound sharp?
^ just described every damn guitar I have ever owned, regardless of price tag, brand, country of origin, bridge type, astrological sign of the final assembly tech, salinity concentration of the Salton Sea, number of UFO sightings in the prior week, or which rerun of The Golden Girls was playing on a given day.

Also, yes... there is no such thing as a properly intonated G string. Such a mythical beast is the White Whale of the guitar community. Chase it at your own peril.

^ just described every damn guitar I have ever owned, regardless of price tag, brand, country of origin, bridge type, astrological sign of the final assembly tech, salinity concentration of the Salton Sea, number of UFO sightings in the prior week, or which rerun of The Golden Girls was playing on a given day.

Also, yes... there is no such thing as a properly intonated G string. Such a mythical beast is the White Whale of the guitar community. Chase it at your own peril.
Here I thought the G string not intonating and going flat all the time.was a Les Paul design problem.

Here I thought the G string not intonating and going flat all the time.was a Les Paul design problem.
Let's not be too quick to dismiss Gibson from having a design problem here...

It most certainly is.

It's just that Gibson took a pre-existing problem and made it worse. Proper.

Let's not be too quick to dismiss Gibson from having a design problem here...

It most certainly is.

It's just that Gibson took a pre-existing problem and made it worse. Proper.
I have heard the Gibson headstock angle is a big cause of the tuning issue.

My Epi and @gile have a shallower angle,and less tuning issues.

The Les Paul is just a great fit for me.
I love the sound,weight,look so I put up with the tuning thing.

Ernie Ball 9's. Don't have my guitar here now but the G was quite close, but not as good as the other strings. Thanks I"ll try that tonight when I get home.

I've done some Googling and I guess unwound G strings give people intonation fits all over the place.

I'm not saying that is the fix. Without having the guitar in my hands I need you to answer the questions. Also, has anyone filed the nut slots?

Back