Lets see those pedalboards!

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
I'll start with reposting my stuff:

The "big" board - this pic is missing a Mojo Hand Crosstown Fuzz first in line now:

30453C92-0576-423A-8BFE-EFE42CEECD30-1856-0000024578E860EC.jpg

So I've been in the process of building two different pedalboards...one big one for my cover band work where I need to get lots of different sounds and one smaller one that I think sounds the best and is more useful for my original music and blues gigs.

Since the big board has so much stuff going on I decided earlier in the year to run as many pedals as possible in separate loops, which would take them out of the signal path when not being used. This was one quick way to improve my overall tone. Also putting the pedals away from my feet stopped me from changing settings by accident mid gig (especially on my Xotic RC Booster, which was always gettingvolume knob kicked up or down).

The signal path from right to left goes:

Fulltone Clyde Standard wah

Loop Master pedal #1

Loop 1: Wampler Ego Compressor

Loop 2: Barber UNLTD Overdrive

Loop Master pedal #2

Loop 1: Line 6 M9 Stompbox modeler

Loop 2: Xotic RC Booster

Tuner out for the Sonic Research Turbo Tuner is on Loop Master pedal #2 as well....then it goes out of that looper into the front of the amp. For a while I was using another looper just to run the time based effects in the amps built in effects loop but that was a giant PITA to deal with and didn't sound as good as this setup. If I had the 6-8 weeks to wait for Loop Masters to build me one larger loop pedal I would have done that but I was in a hurry and this works pretty well.

For the Line 6 M9 I currently have the following pedal models programmed:

3a - Tremolo
3b - Octave synth sound

2a - Tri Chorus
2b - Phase 90

1a - Analog delay - long setting
2b - Spring Reverb - set totally surf and "Kid Ramos"

The Barber UNLTD is cool because I can get both a lower gain overdrive and something a little heavier which works for pretty much everything I play in a set list that spans from 1950-2012. I might program a second scene in the M9 of heavier drive sounds and some specialty stuff but the drive sounds are a little shrill compared to the UNLTD. The Xotic RC Booster is mainly a solo boost or if I want to drive the front of the amp a small amount more. Super useful.

One thing about this board is that it is designed with lower volume gigs in mind. I have to run the amp a little cleaner and then pedal in more dirt when the tunes call for it.

The "small" board:

6105_10151458010082425_2074354741_n.jpg

No loops on this one....overall it just sounds better than the big board because of the simplicity I think. I'm also relying more on the amp being maybe 20% louder.

Signal path:

Mojo Hand Crosstown Fuzz - best Fuzz Face-style fuzz I've tried

Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Mojo Hand Rook Overdrive - dirtier drive tones.

Wampler Ego Compressor (running at 18v)

Suhr Koko Boost - really to push the amp into Marshall territory without adding any inorganic distortion

MXR 1974 Phase 90 - just a little modulation. I dig this pedal and while I'd love to have my old Arion SCH-1 back for a good Leslie Sound this seems to be the best out of my current collection and it's not an important enough pedal for me to buy anything new right now.

Wampler Analog Echo - set just for a little ambiance most of the time. I also like how it colors my sound even when there isn't too much audible delay.

Van Amps Sole Mate Reverb

We'll see how it goes but this is pretty much where I'm at right now :)

Nothing has changed on my boards.

Small Board - Blues/Country

FauxAnalogDelayAdded6-20-2012.jpg

Guitar > Polytune > Ego Comp > Xotic AC > Paisley Drive > Xotic RC > Xotic EP > Faux Analog Echo > Hall of Fame > Amp

Possible future changes: Wampler Hotwired and BYOC Tremolo

Big Board - General Purpose

MainPedalBoard6-20-2012.jpg

Guitar > TU2 Tuner > Cry Baby Wah > BB Preamp > Zendrive > Xotic RC > Flashback > TC Chorus/Flanger > Morley A/B > Amp

Future mods: The Phase 90 is not wired yet and a BYOC Comp still to be added. Both will go in between the Tuner and Wah.

Way in the future mod: Diamond Quantum Leap Delay (just GAS)

Acoustic Board

AcousticBrewVersion2.jpg

Guitar signal path - Fishman Aura > Effects Loop Send > RC20XL Loop Station > Zoom Choir > Hermida Reverb > Effects Loop Return > XLR to PA

Way in the future mod: Zoom Choir replaced by TC Chorus pending Diamond Quantum Leap Delay (just GAS) replaced on GP board

The latest incarnation of my board, lol.

A6LnBxeCYAIQIZf.jpg

Signal path is as follows: Bonamassa Crybaby -> MXR Script Phase 90 Reissue -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> TC Electronic's Poly Tune -> MXR Classic 108 Fuzz.
And no, there is no tone secret behind putting the tuner second to last instead of first or last. I was just too lazy to rewire the bottom of the board for the power supply, lol.

So I picked up the Faux Tape Echo on Thurs. An hour before my first gig of the night (had 2). Plugged it in Friday morning at home over coffee. Played a gig last (Fri) night with it.

Absolutely amazing. I've always used various delays for slap back. I've never turned them up as recommended for Rockabilly/HOnky Tonk because they never seemed to jive with my tone at higher volumes like on old records.

This thing can not only be cranked and still hold definition, but it totally fills out your sound. Makes your guitar sound HUGE. The controls allow for the OD that a tape machine can add along with the tape flutter. For harder edge Rockabilly I just the Paisley as seen in the photo and just FTE and it sounds like I'm playing thru 2 amps instead of one. Gigantic tone.

For Honky Tonk/Traditional Rockabilly just the FTE and the Ego for a nice fat clean tone.

I'm a pig in shit. It's the "one" pedal for what I do if there ever needs to be just one.

This is my most current version. The black peg board is attached to a laptop elevator, which is on hinges. That means when I sit it on a table top to dial in I can erect it like you see for easy access to all the pedal knobs. When on the floor, it's almost flat and can be angled all the way up to 90 degrees if I like. I'm putting a second one together now with a wah, a Big Muff, and a few others. All the pedels below are run off one Godlyke wall wart.

GuitarFile64.jpg

I have a major rebuild planned.

This is the most recent pic, though it has changed a little.
IMG_0068.jpg

It is that little old laptop case in the lower right. It is a little different now, with a couple things swapped out, but basically it is that ratty old laptop case with a few stomp boxes thrown in.

With the purchase of a Line 6 M9, and an expression pedal soon, I am re-motivated to build a proper board, and get enclose it with a vintage Samsonite case. Robert (dolphinstreet) did that once and it came out pretty good. I think I can get what I need to fit in a 21 inch suitcase. Should be a fun project. I will start a thread as I plan it out for advice, abuse, etc. ;-)

Back