Let's Get Ready To Rumble...

I agree,but like me I'm sure that most people watching that fight on tv,in bars or at the venue itself were left shaking their heads and saying never again when it was over...

Sure, but you've got to know what you're getting into, and know the personalities.

If you want violence, then I'd bet on next Saturday's fight between Canelo Alvarez and James Kirkland. HBO, no PPV.

i really Miss the Gatti Ward fights

What's worth pointing out is that neither of those two were ever P4P list guys, and Ward will never be in the HOF. You don't need to be anywhere near the best to be in thrilling fights that will be remembered decades later. The boxing umbrella is big enough for lots of different kinds of fights.

Totally agree with everything Flamencology posted. In technical terms, Mayweather put on a clinic. It wasn't exciting, but it was a textbook example of boxing efficiency.

The most frustrating part about that fight, is that Manny actually landed several significant punches that clearly caught Mayweather off guard, but he never followed up. He stuck to a strategy based on not giving Mayweather a chance to counter, because that is what he does best.

Unfortunately, the only way Manny had a chance, was to take the risk of being knocked out and staying aggressive after landing one of those shots.

Sure, that usually leads to Mayweather turning out his opponents lights, but it the one and only option Manny had if he wanted to win the fight.

At some point, his corner had to know he was too far down on points, and they should have told him to let it fly. It wasn't a question after round 9 that his only chance for victory was to go for the knockout and see who's chin held up the longest.

What's worth pointing out is that neither of those two were ever P4P list guys, and Ward will never be in the HOF. You don't need to be anywhere near the best to be in thrilling fights that will be remembered decades later. The boxing umbrella is big enough for lots of different kinds of fights.
I agree with everything you are saying. I have been a fan of the Sweet Science for many years and can very much appreciate the flawless Boxing Exibition performed by Mayweather last nite.He is a pure BOXER(and there are damned few of those) as a fan I also like how someone with mediocre boxing skills but having a HUGE heart such as Arturo Gatti can over come his abilities and still be talked about in hushed tones of reverence 15 years later

If both fighters waited for the other guy to attack so they could counter, there would be no blows landed.

Taking the fight to the opposition should be a factor.

So now it appears Manny was hurt going into the fight, and is in deep shit for defrauding the ppv and betting crowd.
http://www.syracuse.com/sports/inde..._action_shoulder_injury_floyd_mayweather.html
I've heard conflicting reports regarding the severity of his injury, and a lot of speculation that he felt good to go.

I understand people who bet on the fight being upset, but to say that he may have purposely mislead or defrauded anyone is a bit of a stretch.

I'm not even certain that there was such an injury, or anything beyond the aches and pains of being an aging fighter.

He seemed to honestly believe that he won that fight, which is absurd, but not at all uncommon. Also not uncommon, are sore losers that manufacture an excuse after the fact. I'm not saying that is the case, but it is very possible.

I heard a radio interview with his family in The Philippines this morning that made it pretty clear that they are as delusional as he is. They claimed the fight was fixed...

At this point, I suspect that the only thing that is certain, is that all of this nonsense is setting the stage for the inevitable rematch. Lots of hype, little to no substance.

Last thought, for the people that bet on Pacquiao to win that fight, and feel somehow defrauded. .. um... yeah, they should have spent that money on a psychiatrist, because no sane person could have actually thought he would win. Short of a miracle lucky punch, there was really never any doubt that Mayweather was going to win. The odds makers were unanimous in that opinion as well.

Ask any boxer, coach, expert, etc.; boxers fight through injuries all the time. It's part of the job. Nobody is ever at 100%, especially not veteran fighters in their mid-30s who've logged that many hours in the ring. Not fraud.

I can't imagine a rematch. It would be like any other Mayweather PPV from the past 2-3 years. It'd make less than the Canelo fight. At this point, Mayweather has earned the right to do whatever he wants as an athlete. As a person, not so much... But I couldn't criticize him for taking a couple of easy fights before retiring, as a kind of victory lap. IDK. If he wants to really make history, his best option would be to go for the 160lb championship, which is currently held by Cotto, a fighter he's already beaten.

As for Pacquiao being a sore loser... In the past, he's always been the epitome of the class act. Check out his postfight interviews after his loss to Bradley (one of the worst robberies in the history of title fights) and after the last Marquez fight. This one was weird and uncharacteristic. So... I'd probably let it slide and consider the pressure that he was under, national hero, etc.

That said, I can't agree with OGG re: the odds. What were they, really? 60-40? 70-30? Betting on Pacquiao wasn't that crazy. Sure, it was, in hindsight - 1 minute into the fight, it was obvious that the reach disadvantage, the lack of lateral offense, the very low punch output... Manny couldn't win with game plan. IDK. Anyway, people should never place bets large enough that, if they lost, they'd miss.

Reactions: OGG
Ask any boxer, coach, expert, etc.; boxers fight through injuries all the time. It's part of the job. Nobody is ever at 100%, especially not veteran fighters in their mid-30s who've logged that many hours in the ring. Not fraud.

I agree....

Manny fought through his shoulder injury and Floyd fought through his shin splints...

Back