Let's Get Ready To Rumble...

I want to but just can't seem to pull the trigger. I tried to get some people in my area together to defray some of the costs but it didn't happen.

No. I learned my lesson with Tyson. Paid $35 or whatever it was back then. We'd have a bunch of people over. Tyson would knock them out in 35 seconds. I think those were the last of my PPV days

Boxing isn't what it used to be. I hope Manny wins ONLY because of Floyd's big mouth talking about Ali

Had this fight happened 5 years ago I;d have been all over it,but NO WAY in hell i'm plunking down a C note for this fight

Well I won't say it was a total waste of money because the other fights were good...

But I'd never seen a Mayweather fight before and had I known that he runs more than he boxes,I wouldn't have ordered it..........

At least it went the distance. Not exactly a barn burner, but at least mildly entertaining. Further scientific proof that you can't hit what you can't catch.

As I said, Mayweather would be too fast for him. Better footwork, faster hands, and a smart fighter to boot.

Not that Manny is slow, mind you. There just isn't anyone out there near that weight class the can match his speed and smarts. Not 'til he slows down from age, anyways :embarrassed:

About 7 years ago, DeLa Hoya actually had Mayweather beaten until Oscar started running in the final few rounds. He tried to out-Floyd Floyd.

PAC man would have run him down 5 years ago. The fight, this time, was all hype. A fighter should lose points for running that much.

At least it went the distance. Not exactly a barn burner, but at least mildly entertaining. Further scientific proof that you can't hit what you can't catch.
Still, I was still waiting for something to 'happpen'.

I just laughed,one of the local tv commentators just referred to the match as a pillow fight........

For me it's kind of like spending $200 making a big pot of seafood chowder and it turns out like shit......

@tompetty ...

I like you, and I'd have loved to see Mayweather knocked unconscious, because he's a contemptable scumbag.

What you saw last night, was world-class boxing. I'd be the first to agree that it lacked the excitement of classic action fights. But I can assure that it was a fascinating fight. I totally get that the subtleties of a fight like that can be lost on casual viewers who arent familiar with the fighters and who are expecting Hagler-Hearns... But it's like that for any sport when the defense is so dominant. Think of how casual fans are dissatisfied when they go to a baseball game hoping for a home run derby, and instead they see a brilliant pitcher throw a no-hitter. Same thing for a 1-0 hockey game where the winning goalie made 60 amazing saves against the best offensive team in the league.

You can't call it "running" when you're outhitting the other guy 2-to- 1 with straight and accurate punches. That is the very definition of boxing. It's dumb to expect a fighter to handicap himself and to brawl if he doesn't have to. We may love to watch that, but it isn't smart. You don't get to the top and stay there for very long if you fight like that.

What Mayweather does is incredibly subtle, and it's almost impossible to convey to the layperson how he neutralizes offense. It's all about footwork, rhythm, setting traps, never letting the opponent get set or be comfortable, etc.

After the first minute of Round 1, I was almost certain that Pacquiao had no chance. To his credit, he stepped it up a couple of times, and the first half of the fight was a tug-of-war, with each fighters making adjustments to gain the upper hand. But after about 5 rounds, Pacquiao had exhausted his arsenal. He had no more tricks, no more Plan Bs. That's on him, and on his coach. But, flip side, that's way easier said than done when dealing with someone like Mayweather.

Once again, I hate the guy and would hate loved to see him viciously beat for 11 rounds and then KTFO'd. It wasn't in the cards.

Back