Mojo Request Less than 2 weeks now. Time keeps on tickin'

OGG

Master of the Meh
It's hard to believe. After May 4th I may not touch a guitar again for a year or longer, and there's no guarantees that when I finally do, that I'll still be able to play. If all goes well, I should end up a much improved player with significantly more grip strength to properly voice chords, and have the stamina to play for longer than a few minutes before the pain and weakness force me to stop.

I really hope for the best, but there's a big possibility that my guitar playing days could be over for good. It all depends on the success of each of the two thumb surgeries.

I'm a little scared, I'm very dismayed and filled with grief over the down time and the uncertainty. The guitar has been my source of sanctuary and joy for 35 years.

I'm so conflicted. I know I need the surgeries, and I'm looking forward to the relief they will bring me from the constant unbearable pain and weakness, but terribly sad about being unable to play for so long even if things go perfectly. I can feel it driving my depression and anxiety way up, which is not good at all.

Meanwhile, I met with my other Orthopaedic Surgeon yesterday (yes, I have two) about my hips. The left hip has gotten so bad that it brings me to tears, and I have a crazy high pain tolerance.

X-rays were inconclusive, definitely arthritic and with calcium deposits. Can't see ANY cartilage in the pictures. So, while it was already a safe bet that hip replacements were coming very soon, we're doing an MRI next week to see in detail how ugly the situation really is and how "fixable" even with new sockets. She did upgrade me to a MUCH stronger anti-inflammatory drug than the Nabumatome I was already taking, and last night was the first night in months that I could lay in bed and not be in terrible pain.

Looks like the year ahead is going to be a doozie.

So anyway... two weeks left to enjoy my guitars before they start to collect dust.

I could use some mojo. :(

Sent from Crab Nebulae via reverse engineered alien technology

Can you maybe play keyboards or something not needing a wrap around grip, or is it nothing at all?

Mojo. If you have any money left over may you could pick up an analog synth and/or drum machine to scratch the musical itch.

Mojo Rod. By this time next year you will be belting out sim Billy Duffy riffs like nobody's business.

Reactions: OGG
Ugghh.... much mojo.

If this helps.... music isn't created by your hands though. It's created by your mind, heart, and soul. You may have to program sequencers or keys for a while while you heal, but the music will keep coming out of you one way or another. :baimun:

When I had my puncture wound that lead to a tendon infection and I couldn't bend my index finger on my left hand or apply any pressure (even writing with a pen was painful) I spent the next couple years concentrating on singing. After I got back into guitar playing, it ultimately led me to being a singer/guitarist instead of the "weedly weedly" guy I was before the injury. Stay positive! :baimun:

Can you maybe play keyboards or something not needing a wrap around grip, or is it nothing at all?
Mojo. If you have any money left over may you could pick up an analog synth and/or drum machine to scratch the musical itch.
...or take up the theremin. Very easy on the hands.
theremin.jpg

Hope it goes well.

Being a guitar player is part of who I am, and I would imagine you (and most folks here) feel the same. It's pretty much the only thing I've had that's a constant in my life since childhood.

Hang in there man. I know you'll keep making music, and the guitar will be there when you're ready.

Big time mojo! Stay positive. The thumb surgery could mean you'll come back stronger than before. And it may not take as long as you think to heal.
Definitely sending positive vibes.

Back