LeMans is this weekend....terrible crash content.

SPOILERS BELOW

REALLY, SPOILERS

IF YOU DON'T WANT TO RUIN THE RACE YOU MAY HAVE DVR'd, DON'T SCROLL ANY MORE

Looks like it ended being an Audi victory. Webber/Porsche were actually in the lead early this morning, but they had to retire the car due to a 'noise in the engine' at lap 348. It seems the sister Porsche retired right after that, so both cars ran strong for about 23 hours, but failed when they were close to a win. A strong showing for a brand new car, but just not strong enough for the pummeling LeMans offers. I would have loved to see Webber win, or at least finish well. :( If that couldn't happen, I would have loved to see Tom Kristensen pull out his 10th victory at LeMans, but the best he could do was second.

thanks for the update......i didn't stay up all night to watch it all and got up a little late to find out what happened to the 919's.

i'm glad to read that they made it to the last hour, that means next year they're gonna kick ass all over the place.

is there any info on whether they are going to compete in the rest of the endurance season? the glen or road america?

The way Mark Webber was talking when they interviewed him after the retirement it sounds like the Porsche team plans on running a full world endurance season...the races left are the 6 hours at Fuji, 6 hours at Circuit of the Americas, 6 hours at Bahrain, 6 hours at Shanghai, and 6 hours at Sao Paulo.

Wow I saw a bit of it at the beginning...the Toyotas looked dominate. I'll need to see if I can find out what happened

The way Mark Webber was talking when they interviewed him after the retirement it sounds like the Porsche team plans on running a full world endurance season...the races left are the 6 hours at Fuji, 6 hours at Circuit of the Americas, 6 hours at Bahrain, 6 hours at Shanghai, and 6 hours at Sao Paulo.

so Le Mans is not part of the endurance races in the states?

they way the porsches ran le mans, 6 hours should not be a problem for them.

Nah, the American endurance series is currently the Tudor United Sports Car Championship which is run by IMSA. The World Endurance Series is run by the FIA. The IMSA one is further complicated as it is a merger of the Rolex Sports Car series and the American LeMans series into a new, single series. This resulted in a lot of shuffling of teams and such, and overlapping classes of cars that are not well matched, performance wise. It has gotten better, but some of the early races where sort of crazy as cars that looked identical were very different in speed.

There is quite a bit of overlap between the IMSA and FIA races, as some teams do single races in either series while not in the overall season championship, or at least they used to. With all the new rules from the Tudor merger I'm not sure how open the new rules are for this kind of thing. Every year brings new regulations and such, so for the upper end prototype cars, it might be impossible to build a car that meets both sets of regulations. I don't follow it close enough to know all the details. Maybe someone here who follows this closer can provide more detail.

It would be cool to see all of these merged into one international race series someday.

Last edited:
thanks......i remember following IMSA in the 80's, and i was under the impression, that at that time the whole endurance thing was one organization, or maybe two that operated together. i remember watching Le Mans and 24 Daytona and the same teams and cars were at both, and lots of Porsche 962's.

Back