LeMans is this weekend....terrible crash content.

Tiltsta

Show me your frittatas
Staff member
LeMans starts tomorrow. I think Fox Sports has planned to broadcast the entire 24 hours. This is pretty cool if you like sports car racing, as it has been a while since we have had full coverage. Should be a cool race, as Porsche is finally back, featuring some very experience drivers (including F1's Mark Webber), in a brand new hybrid car to try to challenge Audi's recent dominance.

As for the crash, Audi's number 1 car (of 3) went off track in a terrible crash in practice today. You can see the destruction of the car and crash barriers below. The important thing is that the driver, Loic Duval, walked away from the crash. Latest news is that Audi will repair the car for the race and Duval will race. Amazing, considering the car looks pretty mangled. Why can't they put that safety into our every dar drivers? I guess money.

Anyway, if you like car racing, the LeMans starts tomorrow, and it usually has some pretty cool racing.

uqmp5wmz2mbcjcnithlv.jpg

You're asking why they don't build our everyday drivers to be like Le Mans race cars?

Let's start small here.

How about nobody sending fucking text messages to their girlfriends while towing rattletrap trailers dumping lawn equipment behind them? Not seeing much of that at Le Mans.

Let's get that down before we start fussing more about the cars. Gotta walk before we run.

Audi has apparently fixed the car already and it will race. The driver has been blocked from racing by the medical staff of the event out of caution, so a reserve driver will race it.

Why can't they put that safety into our every dar drivers?

I presume it filters down in time. New tech is expensive to develop so they make a couple and prove it in a race car that costs a bomb in the first place so the cost is expected. Then they work out how to mass produce it cheaply enough and apply it to road cars.

i know it's still early in the race.....but i was hoping Porsche would dominate the race.....but 3rd & 6th ain't too bad.

Yeah, the are doing really great, considering they have a very limited time in a very new car. I'd love to see the car Mark Webber is driving (as part of a team of 3 drivers) win their class. I always thought Mark got a raw deal in F1, so it would good to see him kick all kinds of ass in his new race seat.

Reactions: OGG
This might be the first time Mark has a car where he isn't testing parts and strategy for someone else. I hope if he wins he gives the camera a nice quote, like "A hearty Multi 21 to my former team mate who is at the back of the F1 points race. I hope Daniel appreciates your role as B driver, testing tires and wings for him".

Of course, Mark is a pro, and even when he is really pissed off, he keeps it on target and thanks the team, the sponsors and the fans, so I doubt we will get any real fireworks. Hell, he left a terrible situation in F1 and never really vented to the press more than a second or two. All his departure interviews were all about 'new opportunities' with very little butthurt about the past and his douchebag team mate. He could have really dragged Vettel through the mud for what we saw, plus all the behind the scene crap we didn't see. I think Webber is a class act, like a lot of the F1 guys who get stuck in the B slot. I think they are happy to be driving and part of the effort, even if they get blasted in the press and don't get the podium. Felipe Massa and Webber were the epitome of great B drivers, so I love seeing both get a chance at the spotlight this year.

Reactions: OGG
Felipe is my favorite driver, and while I always root for the Scuderia, I want him to have the best possible season. His run of bad luck this year is heartbreaking.

Poor guy keeps falling victim to horrible pit stops and guys who shouldn't be driving F1 cars (Kobayashi, Maldonado and Perez).

I also really like team Williams, so it's doubly disappointing when they lose out on points because of asshats.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

Yeah, it is hard not to like Massa. He seems like someone just happy to be there. I remember vividly when he lost his world championship by a point at his home track. That was just crushing. He has had a tough go in F1, missing a championship by a hair, moving to a B slot, his insane injury, and so on. He has had bad luck for a long time, and seems to be a crash magnet for shitty pay drivers. I think he has done wonders for Williams F1 this year, as they have 58 points so far, so they are no longer risking bankruptcy and a sad exit from F1. I would love to see him bring Williams back to the top of the sheets next year, and if there is a guy who can fix a failing team, it is someone with lots of experience as a B driver. If Massa couldn't provide valuable feedback to the Ferrari engineers, he would have ben canned years ago, so I hope Williams can build on that and build a strong car. They have Bottas and Massa, both very solid drivers, and Massa has a lot of development background, so I think next year might be really good for them (especially with some points money to work with).

I saw an interview pre-LeMans from the Ferrari head man that they might leave F1 and switch to sports car racing. Years of following F1 has taught me that when Ferrari is tops, everything is perfect with the sport, and when they struggle they talk about leaving, so I don't give it much weight, but, still, I wonder what a F1 without Ferrari might be like.

I can't imagine F1 without Ferrari. I don't see it happening either. It would all but kill the sport if they bailed.

I can't imagine F1 without Ferrari. I don't see it happening either. It would all but kill the sport if they bailed.

maybe not.......perhaps since Porsche is back in endurance racing.....they might field a team or two to fill the Ferrari void......could be interesting.

Back