"Latin" Bb Minor Backing Track Jam!

I am totally on board with doing whatever floats your boat as opposed to just doing what people tell you to do - that part is absolutely fine with me.

But I don't think you are giving Coltrane nearly enough credit here. I understand you don't like to analyze things, but if you were to analyze, say, Giant Steps, Coltrane's connection of modes and scales to a specific chord progression seems quite conscious and intentional.

...I agree...especially taking Countdown from Tune up...but once he wrote these tunes, I dont think he was going around bragging about it...no one sat him down and told him he had to do that, he did it by his own accord because he wanted to...I understand how it works, I just choose to play what I want, and not what I feel I have to...if you want to a run up and down scales, then thats your thing, but dont start telling me what I can and cannot do...as you can see, I have a lot of aggression towards college...

+1 on the guitar level (especially in the beginning). Nice job with the finger picked chords interspersed with the flat picked leads. Is that the Bassman? Digging the tone.

Thanks! It's actually my Deluxe. It works for about an hour before it dies, so I can still record with it :embarrassed:

I need to listen to the other takes tomorrow...

...I agree...especially taking Countdown from Tune up...but once he wrote these tunes, I dont think he was going around bragging about it...no one sat him down and told him he had to do that, he did it by his own accord because he wanted to...I understand how it works, I just choose to play what I want, and not what I feel I have to...if you want to a run up and down scales, then thats your thing, but dont start telling me what I can and cannot do...as you can see, I have a lot of aggression towards college...

like i said, i hear ya. but i think you are selling Coltrane short.

he practiced everyday, nonstop. he learned tons of solos from his favorite sax players. (charlie parker, sonny rollins, dexter...) You arent ever just gonna come up with some language out of thin air. Everything you play is a reflection of what youve played/heard before. Coltrane studied his ass of with scales, and the Slominsky Thesaurus etc...

how are you ever going to "breakthrough" if you just stay with whats comfortable?

if you got to college and you just wanted to play in that Grant Green style, then whats the point of going to college? if you just wanted to do what you wanted to do, you couldve saved yourself some money! :tongue:

like i said, i hear ya. but i think you are selling Coltrane short.

he practiced everyday, nonstop. he learned tons of solos from his favorite sax players. (charlie parker, sonny rollins, dexter...) You arent ever just gonna come up with some language out of thin air. Everything you play is a reflection of what youve played/heard before. Coltrane studied his ass of with scales, and the Slominsky Thesaurus etc...

how are you ever going to "breakthrough" if you just stay with whats comfortable?

if you got to college and you just wanted to play in that Grant Green style, then whats the point of going to college? if you just wanted to do what you wanted to do, you couldve saved yourself some money! :tongue:

...I didnt just want to play "grant green style"...I think your selling me short...I wanted to improve...but all I got was a stack of Cd's and the instructions "memorize these solo's"...I could have done that at home, without having to pay thousands of dollars...I think Jazz education in College is horrible...its much too hands off, and depends way to much on a set standard...theres no individual...everyone plays the same thing...it totally defeats the point of jazz...I have nothing against learning what made other people tick, but I dont want to sound like that, I want to do what ever I happen to do, but they say you cant do that until you proved you can i.e. wasted a few y ears and a lot of money going to graduate school...

...What I love about jazz is that is personal...Monk once said "Jazz is freedom" and for me, it was, until I went to college, then it became stale and traditional...gone was the freedom to create, replaced by a catechism that is collegiate jazz education...

...I dont know, I guess im just not willing to accept that what I thought was freedom was nothing more than another organized structure...

I think pretty much all music has an organized structure component, and a creative component. If there was no organized structure, how would they teach it in college? There has to be a standardized curriculum, and a group of standards that apply across the board - otherwise all your achievements would be subjective. idn_smilie

Very nice!...cool phrasing...especially the "stutter" stuff :thu:

Wicked!..:thu:...I really like the chordy stuff and the "blue" notes..tasty.

Here's mine :embarrassed:...I did my usual Strat/Marshall type thing..probably not right for this type of stuff :grin:..and it all went a bit weird around 1.30...and I stopped playing after 2.00..but forgot to trim the MP3 down :facepalm:

http://www.box.net/shared/v8l5hpoy4n

hey mos thats some very nice playing , just don't know where you get all that talent :thu:

Great take Mark! :thu:..I like the way you build the lines logically and take your time with it. Very cool.

Thanks!

my playing has taken something of a backseat the last few weeks with business and the forum so this was something of a struggle. Micwalts BT I took a whack at and missed...:facepalm:

Thanks!

my playing has taken something of a backseat the last few weeks with business and the forum so this was something of a struggle. Micwalts BT I took a whack at and missed...:facepalm:

:grin:

At least you're sensible enough to not post your misses. :facepalm:

Back