"Latin" Bb Minor Backing Track Jam!

Here we go: I ended playin about 4 minutes on this one! ... phew!

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1019493

first clip of my new Tele. i decided to "go fusion" on this one. something was missing with just the clean tone....

Its stuff like this that makes me love improvisation. You never know whats gonna come out. i always play stuff ill never be able to pull off again. :cry: i play this badass line at around 3:12 in.. ill have to go back and transcribe that one! :lol:

first clip of my new Tele. i decided to "go fusion" on this one. something was missing with just the clean tone....

Its stuff like this that makes me love improvisation. You never know whats gonna come out. i always play stuff ill never be able to pull off again. :cry: i play this badass line at around 3:12 in.. ill have to go back and transcribe that one! :lol:

That's really good! :thu:...you definitely know your way round this stuff don't you? :embarrassed:...yours' is kind of like what I wanted to play..but I played a lot safer. :(....typical rock guy.

Your mocking privileges are hereby restored. :grin:

That is part of why we do it. I hated the gig that I posted the board tapes for a few days ago but I did find a few moments that I really dug.

Here you go - my second listen to the song, first take on the guitar.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8477194

very nice. :thu: im diggin the tone.

heh. the first thing i thought was Grant Green. :tongue: I went through a huge G. Green phase. it took me a long time to get out of that box. :lol:

very niice. we had a lot of similar sounding lines. :lol: my friend in the other room was like, "is that you?"

very niice. we had a lot of similar sounding lines. :lol: my friend in the other room was like, "is that you?"

:lol:..yep, a lot of dorian based lines with emphasis on the 6ths and 9ths..cheers! :thu:

Last edited:
I talked about approaches for soloing over modal backing tracks with my guitar teacher last night. One of his suggestions was "try emphasizing 6ths and 9ths - it makes you sound more sophisticated".

:facepalm:

I talked about approaches for soloing over modal backing tracks with my guitar teacher last night. One of his suggestions was "try emphasizing 6ths and 9ths - it makes you sound more sophisticated".

:facepalm:

:grin:....As I'm primarily a rock/metal type player...targetting the 6ths and 9ths does sound jazzier to me..:shrug:..particularly that move where you slide into the 9 from the b9......but that's probably because I'm so used to hearing/playing licks that resolve on the root/3rd..:facepalm:

That's really good. I really like your willingness to wait and let a line fall into place, rather than rushing through to the next idea.

heh. the first thing i thought was Grant Green. :tongue: I went through a huge G. Green phase. it took me a long time to get out of that box. :lol:

...Its what I do...his playing makes the most sense to me...hes not wanking all over modes, or sounding clinical, he's just doing his thing...the reason I quit Jazz in college was because they wanted me to play like Charlie Parker on the guitar, and I didnt, they were happy with me playing anything that made me happy...next to Trane, there was no better Jazz musician that Grant Green...imo...

...Its what I do...his playing makes the most sense to me...hes not wanking all over modes, or sounding clinical, he's just doing his thing...the reason I quit Jazz in college was because they wanted me to play like Charlie Parker on the guitar, and I didnt, they were happy with me playing anything that made me happy...next to Trane, there was no better Jazz musician that Grant Green...imo...

i hear ya, but i also understand where your teachers were coming from. Grant Green is only scratching the surface of whats possible with the jazz language. hes also alot easier and bluesy than most.. i think thats why alot of beginner jazzers are attracted to him. (myself included, the first jazz solo i learned was a Green one, "Solid")

i think hes a great foundation to have, as you can always go back to those great simple lines that just sound good.. but i needed something more. Grant Green wont get you through a song with Coltrane changes. or tunes like Inner Urge, etc.... now, of course that might be the opposite of the kind of music you play, but in a university setting, theyve gotta challenge to learn more than just what you want.

itd be hard for me to go to school and want to be a doctor but not want to put in the full amount of work to learn all that i can. (not a good analogy, but you get my point)

and Grant Green to Coltrane.. thats quite a big leap.. surely there are musicians inbetween you could learn from.

Dexter Gordon for one! hes like a Coltrane thats easier to digest.

I took a quick whack at this one just now....bouncing the track right now. I'm not in love with my playing but I tried using my actual amp for once and only had time for two takes...I'll post in a few minutes...

i hear ya, but i also understand where your teachers were coming from. Grant Green is only scratching the surface of whats possible with the jazz language. hes also alot easier and bluesy than most.. i think thats why alot of beginner jazzers are attracted to him. (myself included, the first jazz solo i learned was a Green one, "Solid")

i think hes a great foundation to have, as you can always go back to those great simple lines that just sound good.. but i needed something more. Grant Green wont get you through a song with Coltrane changes. or tunes like Inner Urge, etc.... now, of course that might be the opposite of the kind of music you play, but in a university setting, theyve gotta challenge to learn more than just what you want.

itd be hard for me to go to school and want to be a doctor but not want to put in the full amount of work to learn all that i can. (not a good analogy, but you get my point)

and Grant Green to Coltrane.. thats quite a big leap.. surely there are musicians inbetween you could learn from.

Dexter Gordon for one! hes like a Coltrane thats easier to digest.

...I love Dexter Gordon, as well as others, but Grant Green and Coltrane make the most sense to me, they both did what they wanted, regardless of what others thought...the thing with college was, I foolishly assumed that I would be able to develop as a musician, instead, they wanted me to copy note for note what someone else already came up with...If I wanted to play something note for note, I would have studied classical music...

...and with the Trane changes, I doubt he sat down and thought, "hmm, I think i'll pick these modes and scales to use because they fit over what im doing here"...he was just doing his thing...and that was good enough for him...its the people that analyze everything so much that take the fun out of it...

...I know whats possible with the jazz language, but I dont want to memorize other people speeches, I want to make my own...Im not about to rewrite great expectations and call it my own...you want great expectations?, than heres the original...if your interested in what I have to say, then have a seat while I tune up here...

Last edited:
I am totally on board with doing whatever floats your boat as opposed to just doing what people tell you to do - that part is absolutely fine with me.

...and with the Trane changes, I doubt he sat down and thought, "hmm, I think i'll pick these modes and scales to use because they fit over what im doing here"...he was just doing his thing...and that was good enough for him...its the people that analyze everything so much that take the fun out of it...

But I don't think you are giving Coltrane nearly enough credit here. I understand you don't like to analyze things, but if you were to analyze, say, Giant Steps, Coltrane's connection of modes and scales to a specific chord progression seems quite conscious and intentional.

That line at 3:12 truly is some badass playing :thu:. I like the way you stay relaxed and slightly behind the beat. The reverb/room sound on the guitar doesn't really match up well with the very dry sounding backing track.

Hai Gyes! I'm new here but I like to JAM!

Here's my take...
Carlos Castaneda Satana's Not So Smooth Shroom Trip

http://hc.bloodyvelvet.com/files/231/CarlosSatanaShroomTrip.mp3

Be warned: EXTREME WANKERY content. Also, extensive .11 string bend
testing somewhere in the middle.

Oh, and a nice warm hello to all the familiar faces I see here. :helper:

Alright - more Santana style Dorian!!! Not totally in love with the phase effect. Playing is excellent - always dig your stuff.

Back