Last nights event - I guess I'm not a Marshall guy anymore...

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
At least not a completely roached out JCM-800:

11147138_10153567195997425_7140793396755437936_n.jpg

11822586_10153567195967425_62784150673991888_n.jpg

11218701_10153567196052425_3900426513549258255_n.jpg

My friend Charlie (drummer for Felt and one half of FullonDrums.com with El Borrachito) invited me up for what I think is an annual open house/jam at his recording studio in Panorama City...its about 70 miles from my place so I didn't get there until 10:30 after I got done teaching last night. When I got there it was a total shredfest with Jeff Marshall and Ernesto Homeyer playing a bunch of Hendrix and other stuff...I was definitely not the best guitarist there and i was a little intimidated to play at first..I'm just not a shredder and I think these guys all teach at MI/GIT. Turns out that the night went well and I played with a few of the rock band guys who are studio clients there for a bit and then I did a set with Jeff, Charlie, a really good bassist and a couple of female singers. We played Chain of Fools, Proud Mary and You Shook Me All Night Long with the ladies and then I vocally led the group on a couple of blues tunes to wrap it up.

One funny bit was when I took over the JCM800 from Ernesto (who was playing some sort of Framus guitar through it) and Charlie asked me what pedals I was using since the sound out of the amp was suddenly killer. I had to admit that I hadn't gotten my pedalboard out and had just plugged my McFeely 454 straight into the amp.

One of the other guys had a Boho Surf Wax guitar: https://www.bohemianguitars.com/bohemian-surfwax-electric-guitar it was funny watching him play it through a JC 2000 marshall half stack and tap crazy arpeggios on it with the p90.

This was the first time I had tried using a Snark tuner in a very loud environment and for some reason it didn't work very well...it took forever to find the notes and I'm wondering if all of the ambient noise in the room (tuning while a jam is going on) caused enough random vibration in the guitar to confuse it. Since I had changed my strings earlier in the day and didn't really have enough time to stretch them fully I was having tuning issues and the tuner crapping out wasn't helping.

They recorded everything directly into the computer so maybe in a week or so I might have some clips to share. Judging from the mic placement in the top picture there might not be much of me that made it to disk though :embarrassed:

Totally_jammin_out Though mismatched Rolex has been scientifically proven to cause undesired feedback .

Last edited:
Awesome :thu:

Way cool that they liked your sound plugged straight in to the amp :cool: That Surf Wax guitar is pretty cool, too :grin:

Very cool. Sometimes a jcm800 sounds great to me and sometimes I think what the hell.

One funny bit was when I took over the JCM800 from Ernesto (who was playing some sort of Framus guitar through it) and Charlie asked me what pedals I was using since the sound out of the amp was suddenly killer. I had to admit that I hadn't gotten my pedalboard out and had just plugged my McFeely 454 straight into the amp.

That guitar is just so huge sounding.

Very cool. Sometimes a jcm800 sounds great to me and sometimes I think what the hell.

That guitar is just so huge sounding.
Yeah...this was a pretty tired amp....I'd imagine with a good service it would sound better but I think the last time I played a 100 watt head through a 4x12 was Pragestock...this was impossible to play quiet or clean through.

And yeah....its pretty funny how much of a head turner that guitar is when I play it at events like the LA Amp show or this gettogether. I really think that its a pretty magical combination of wood, pickups and lack of paint :grin:

Yeah...this was a pretty tired amp....I'd imagine with a good service it would sound better but I think the last time I played a 100 watt head through a 4x12 was Pragestock...this was impossible to play quiet or clean through.

And yeah....its pretty funny how much of a head turner that guitar is when I play it at events like the LA Amp show or this gettogether. I really think that its a pretty magical combination of wood, pickups and lack of paint :grin:
I love lack of paint. :tongue:

I have a Marshall stashed somewhere in my garage in the flight case it's been in for at least 16 years, maybe longer.

I wonder if it still works.

And of course, by "Works" I mean "still sounds like a swarm of angry bees acting out the campfire seen from Blazing Saddles".

I fucking hate that thing.

I have a Marshall stashed somewhere in my garage in the flight case it's been in for at least 16 years, maybe longer.

I wonder if it still works.

And of course, by "Works" I mean "still sounds like a swarm of angry bees acting out the campfire seen from Blazing Saddles".

I fucking hate that thing.
Which Marshall is it?

My first good amp was an original 100 watt Silver Jubilee half stack. I'd love to have another one of those. I tried the reissue at NAMM last year and was in love all over again. I just don't have the money or need for a giant amp like that.

Back