Larry Barry seems legit.

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
Larry:

Hello how are you doing today and this is Larry Barry i would like to know if you are available for Music Training at your facility and do you accept credit card as mode of payment. Hope to hear from you soon Best Regards, Larry Barry.

Me (playing along):

Hello Larry

What instrument do you wish to study and times you are available?

Larry:

Thank you for your reply and the time is 10;00 Am,Monday,Wednesday and Weekends are you available also i want you to know that my kids will be coming for the lessons and how much do you charge per student because my kids are three in number alright..I would like you to know understand that they are Beginners and they are wanting Piano and Guitar & other leaning music skills needed in the lesson okay.

Me:

Hi Larry!

The only instructor I have available for those times only speaks Japanese. If your children speak Japanese then I think we can accommodate you. The lesson rates are $60 per half hour lesson and we charge quarterly. For the first quarter of 2016 your tuition will be $2160 (January-March) and that there is a $100 registration fee per child.

Thanks!

Mark

BWAHAHAHAHAHA

we get the "may i speak to the person who handles your electric/gas/water account.
they're trying to get us to "switch" to them. i used to say "those utilities are handled by our corporate office in ALBERTA CANADA (true). but then they started with the "fine, please give me the number there and i will contact them".

so now when they say "may i speak to......" i just say NO and hang up.
feels so good.

i want to let you know that i have a charter bus driver that will drive my kids down to your facility for the training, and kindly understand that i'm emailing you from a nursing home because My mom need a surgery Operation and i need to stay with her until the surgery operation get done, But don't worry i will show up in your music school before you finished the lessons for my kids, Let me know if you can schedule the lessons and also there will be no problem with the language because am getting one translator also for them.

Good, I want to let you know that i'm a very busy schedule Man and i will not be able to come with them to your studio for the lesson, but i have book an appointment with a charter bus driver, so the charter bus driver will be driving them down to your studio for the lesson, So i'm going to need your address and your cell phone number so i can forward it to the bus driver and let me know the type of Card you accept for payment...Thanks

1060 W Addison St, Chicago, IL 60613

9wi.540x303.jpeg

One of the guys on the Canada Guitars forum got pretty much the same thing earlier this week.

I'm not sure how this plays out into a scam, though.
Do they just keep fishing for identity info. until they have enough?

One of the guys on the Canada Guitars forum got pretty much the same thing earlier this week.

I'm not sure how this plays out into a scam, though.
Do they just keep fishing for identity info. until they have enough?
Usually they want to send you a check or credit card number to charge a larger amount than the tuition on. Then you send their "cousin" a check for the overage since they happen to owe that much to the cousin for medical bills or whatever.

I've never seen it directed at lessons before.

It's usually the "I saw your item for sale and I think it is in very good condition. I will pay you......"

There was one of these on a travel forum I belonged to. The respondent was a British satire writer so you can imagine how that went. REALLY funny. Went on for weeks. Actually got the scammer complaining about the level of secrecy and the state of world affairs concerning the delivery of money

Mr. Cliff didn't bother to ask what kind of "music band" you are.

Viking Metal would be awesome at a family reunion.

Reactions: Tig
Yeah, the downside of having fun with scammers is that I think you get added to a list somewhere as "guy who responds to our e-mails" and the amount of scams you see could go up. I've found it's best to never reply.

Back