Laphroaig 10 yr.

surfsteve

Pendejo
Bought this as a Dec. 26th celebratory present and never got to it. I am not digging it. Tastes like band-aids and mulch. Fuck this. I'll stick to bourbon. It's making me queasy.

Reactions: Tig
I like it quite a bit, but yeah, it's pretty harsh - a young islay is going to be like that. The older ones are a bit more nuanced.

I like it quite a bit, but yeah, it's pretty harsh - a young islay is going to be like that. The older ones are a bit more nuanced.
yabbajerry-1.png

You need to try a single malt with much less of a peat flavor. That is definitely not something a lot of people like.

You need to try a single malt with much less of a peat flavor. That is definitely not something a lot of people like.

Any recs? I remember having Johnny Walker Red in Costa Rica (gift shop in the middle of nowhere) that was pretty agreeable over ice. I think Bourbon and Canadian whiskey is my comfort zone.

Any recs? I remember having Johnny Walker Red in Costa Rica (gift shop in the middle of nowhere) that was pretty agreeable over ice. I think Bourbon and Canadian whiskey is my comfort zone.

Ugh, Johnny Walker.

Regarding scotch, I've liked Macallan 12, Glenmorangie 10, and Glenfiddich 12.

Course, regarding bourbon, I drink Wild Turkey 101 and Evan Williams Black, so what the hell do I know?

Reactions: Tig
Yeah, Johnny Red should only be for mixed drinks...and if you're drinking mixed drinks with Scotch in them, the '80s happy hour at the meat market bar wants you back. :)

Johnny Platinum is pretty good, but pricey.
I'd rather get The MacAllan, Talisker (it's on the harsher side too but tasty), or Lagavulin...and there are many more lighter singles.

Peaty scotch is an acquired taste.

You'd be better off with a blend like Dewar's or something if you want to just try to get into Scotch.
Glenlivet is pretty mild in a single malt.

If you think Laphroaig is peaty, don't even think of trying Lagavulin.

Back