Kyser Capo for Mandolins

Modern Saint

Starve your Fear, Feed your Dream!
Irony has it that the same Capo used for Mandolins is also use for the Banjo - lol.

I needed a Capo to play on Wheel Wagon for my Mando as the version we play is the Darius Rucker version (key of A). If it were the Old Crow Medicine Show (key of G), no problem. Every chord for the Rucker version with no Capo would have required a barre and with fingers like mine, would make playing much more difficult to survive the whole song. The Capo also aided for soloing as I could use the open strings during my solos as well.

So after some research and a bias for Kyser Capo's I found one at a local Sam Ash. I could have ordered online but I needed it sooner than later. After getting used to the application of the Capo using it on my Mando's is priceless and a great tool.

kbmb-copy-3.jpg

http://www.kysermusical.com/store/mandolins/

Here is my Eastwood Electric Mando with the Kyser on the 2nd fret. It also works well on my Ovation Mandolin. No more strained fret hand fingers.

Mandolin Randy.jpg

I still don't have a mando capo, but it's cool you found one that worked. How's the intonation? I'm not usually a fan of their guitar capos because of that.

Oh, Randy. I am glad you didn't post this at Mandolin Cafe. The folks there frown on using capos on mandolins.

For that matter, they frown on Ovations, too.

They just frown a lot. :grin:

I still don't have a mando capo, but it's cool you found one that worked. How's the intonation? I'm not usually a fan of their guitar capos because of that.

Because the neck size, I bottom out the Kyser and then wiggle to equalize tension. Once I started to do that I have have no issues.

Oh, Randy. I am glad you didn't post this at Mandolin Cafe. The folks there frown on using capos on mandolins.

For that matter, they frown on Ovations, too.

They just frown a lot. :grin:

I just visit the cafe for Mandolin tips. As for posting I would get bashed as a noob as well as the Capo and because I don't play an F style Gibson or Kentucky - blah, blah, blah. I have read some good things on the Mando forum about Ovations but mostly because of the pickup system. However as you know the purists there will be no deviation.

I don't care if you were using a capo.

I don't care if you were playing a Loar-signed F-style, a Dudenbostel, a mandolin made from cardboard, one made from Gutenberg Bibles, or one from the bones of crucified puppies.

You are playing 'Wagon Wheel'. On principle, I insist that you should be dragged out into the street and executed publicly in the most tortuous manner imaginable.

You are playing 'Wagon Wheel'. On principle, I insist that you should be dragged out into the street and executed publicly in the most tortuous manner imaginable.

That is what you get when you sit in with a classic rock band to play a gig.

It's not hard to play in A on the open strings, aside from maybe having to fudge the minor chord. And the same strings (relative to tonality) are available for open playing during the solo.

It's not hard to play in A on the open strings, aside from maybe having to fudge the minor chord. And the same strings (relative to tonality) are available for open playing during the solo.

Trueness. 6400 is a great fudge for F#m. A lot of time I'll use 4270 for the E and 6200 for the A.

I tend to side with Flam on the song. Having said that, I have played WW dozens of times for people. Never again tho'. Never again!

I can play A on the open strings. I just don't like the sound of that voicing and prefer to play the bar voicing 2245 (A E C# A)

Trueness. 6400 is a great fudge for F#m. A lot of time I'll use 4270 for the E and 6200 for the A.

I tend to side with Flam on the song. Having said that, I have played WW dozens of times for people. Never again tho'. Never again!

Also comes down to experience with the instrument. I am still a novice of 3 years on a Mando. It is not an excuse and I don't have a hang up with using a Capo. But playing barre version of a 4 chord tune can drive one ragged.

Back