KRK Rokit

jp_nyc

Kick Henry Jackassowski
I’m trying to pick a new set of monitors for my big new desk. There are way too many options and most of them are either shit or confusing. It seems like the KRK Rokits have been the most successful line out there for ages. Is that because they’re good speakers or because the yellow cones look cool? There’s a set that comes with two seven inch monitors and a sub for under $900 so I’m tempted to just buy those and an interface with outputs.

OK, let's start with the basics, J...

The idea behind studio monitors is to NOT color the sound to any appreciable degree...since that is basically impossible each brand and model does have a particular sound and it's best to listen to as many as you can before choosing a set...the reason it is so complicated is that most makers have a range of budgets they build for, but the best way to look at them is to believe that the more you spend the flatter and more honest they get...

What are you using now, and what is your budget for the new set?

How big is your room? Is it acoustically treated? How far apart will the monitors sit on your desk? How far away from the monitors is your listening position? Is your desk against a wall or is there a gap behind it?
-all of those questions will help determine the geometry and how big a set you actually need...
One immediate consideration is the necessity of a subwoofer...since the basic waveforms that a sub is designed to reproduce take 18 FEET to fully form, in a smaller room a sub is pointless...
(full disclosure, I have a sub in my studio, under my desk by my feet...but I have the crossover set at 70Hz and I'm stone deaf below 53Hz so it really amounts to nothing more than a 1200.00 footrest)

So, now on to KRK...

The KRK Rokkit series is an entry level set, comparable in quality to all of the other sets available, and no better and no worse than any of the others out there...they also have a particular sound that tends to appeal to the more "modern" producers who work in the HipHop/Dance/Techno side of things...and yes, for the more image conscious the yellow cones and shape are attractive...are they better? No, they just do what they do...

Back