Gig Report: Krash... in church?

Yep.

Anyhow, I actually play most every Sunday, and one Saturday night a month at church. It's a small church, so we're all volunteers, except that the lead singer/keys player (and occasional rhythm guitarist) Joel gets paid since he has to do service planning and band member wrangling (there are now at least two people for every instrument, so everyone revolves, except that unfortunately I'm the only lead guitarist).

So, for those of you on facebook at least, here's a couple songs from last Saturday night. I was planning on playing a Les Paul Special, but our bassist that evening Jon showed up with a cheapie Dean V that he stole for $70! (including a nice hardshell Dean case) and I could tell he wanted me to play it, and it was so deliciously inappropriate that of course I had to play it. Iirc he'd dropped a couple GFS zebra buckers in it and redid the wiring. I'm playing through my usual church rig, a Super Champ XD mic'd to PA, but also slaved to a second amp (a MosValve 1x12 with an E/V) on the opposite side of the stage for a bit broader sound.

These are two pretty mellow numbers, especially the first. In the second verse of the first song on my lead sheet (we sort of make up our own arrangements, under Joel's direction, although I don't listen to Christian radio, it's rare that we do songs "like the record," though once in a blue moon if a song has a signature riff I'll have it played for me and try to emulate it) I had a note to do a "leady bit," and instead of an actual lead I just stumbled into a riff that I decided to repeat instead.

If you wanna skip to the slightly more interesting one, the second song starts at about 3:15. It's almost as mellow as the first one, but we start to amp it up a bit at about 5:40. As usual, the direction to me was just to take a solo at that point, and then an outro at the end, all extemporaneous. So, it is what it is. Listen/watch if you dare! Comments and criticism welcome. Assuming the video thingy even works.

Last edited:
I'm used to seeing you jumping in the air or rocking out on your knees :)

Just jumped ahead to your solo....it was just what the song needed :)

I'm used to seeing you jumping in the air or rocking out on your knees :)

Just jumped ahead to your solo....it was just what the song needed :)

I have done little hops, but not the Townshend leap. I do use a wireless, and for the inaugural Saturday Night thing we did, I actually ran down the main aisle of the church, stopped about 3/4 of the way to the exit soloing, solo'd there for a bit, and then ran back to the front while still soloing. That was fun.

Back