Korean Restaurant...what to order?

BlockInlay

Octavate.band
We have a decent little Korean place down the road from my office. I've been there a few times and enjoy the food but I never know what to order. The descriptions in the menu aren't great and it's next to impossible to communicate with the little old lady that waits on everyone.

Can I get some recommendations on what to order? What must one try when ordering Korean?

I love Korean food, but am basically ignorant -- as well. If you find out, please do share!

A popular dish (and one that's a great "entry" dish is bulgogi. Thinly sliced beef, marinated in soy, ginger garlic, that is grilled and served wrapped in lettuce leaves. The spicy pork bulgogi is also really good.

Galbi - short ribs

Bi bim Bop - wonderful rice dish (especially if they serve it in the super-duper hot stone bowls). Think do-it-yourself fried rice.

Chap Chae (also sometimes spelled "Japchae, jabchae, chapchae, chop chae, or chap chae") - noodle dish

A popular dish (and one that's a great "entry" dish is bulgogi. Thinly sliced beef, marinated in soy, ginger garlic, that is grilled and served wrapped in lettuce leaves. The spicy pork bulgogi is also really good.

Galbi - short ribs

Bi bim Bop - wonderful rice dish (especially if they serve it in the super-duper hot stone bowls). Think do-it-yourself fried rice.

Chap Chae (also sometimes spelled "Japchae, jabchae, chapchae, chop chae, or chap chae") - noodle dish

Here we go, thanks! Is the bi bim bop typically served with a fried egg on top? Or is that something else? Loves me some runny egg yolk.

Here we go, thanks! Is the bi bim bop typically served with a fried egg on top? Or is that something else? Loves me some runny egg yolk.

Yes. When you stir everything together in the bowl, the hot bowl finishes cooking the egg. The rice at the bottom of the bowl gets nice and crispy, too. Bon Appetit!

I've had bulgogi before. Not bad at all.

I've also had some octopus in a very hot, spicy sauce. No idea what it was called, but it was tasty, little suction cups and all :)

+1 to bulgogi and bibimbop. And kimchee, of course. Start with the fat white pieces, then graduate to the limp green bits.

+1 to bulgogi and bibimbop. And kimchee, of course. Start with the fat white pieces, then graduate to the limp green bits.
I'm not a fan of kimchee when it is made traditionally.

I loved it when I had some that was made with a dark red sweet n' sour like sauce though. Kinda like the dark red French salad dressing. When I was in the Air Force one of the guys I worked with was married to a Korean gal that brought some kimchee made with that sweet n' sour stuff on it to a shop picnic. Everyone liked it :embarrassed:

Depends on what you like.

The BBQ is always good and I love the Ban Chan (not sure of the spelling) but Korean food is served with a number of small dishes, Kim Chee, Japchae lots of other stuff depends...you can fill up on that sometimes

My favourite Korean place serves a kind of seafood pancake which is really good. And on cold nights the spicy tofu soup is great

Galbi - short ribs

I've been eating Korean food regularly since I was a little kid, and this is exactly the list I was about to recommend. There are some other cool things, but this is a great handful of selections to get your feet wet.

I've been eating Korean food regularly since I was a little kid, and this is exactly the list I was about to recommend. There are some other cool things, but this is a great handful of selections to get your feet wet.

Get my feet wet? I thought you were supposed to eat it? Shit.

What's the other cool stuff? Tell me! Tell me!

I usually get the same thing every time, hibachi chicken, steamed vegetables with spicy sauce and kimchee. The little neighborhood place serves lychee fruit mixed with ice cubes for dessert.

Get my feet wet? I thought you were supposed to eat it? Shit.

What's the other cool stuff? Tell me! Tell me!

If you decide you like Kimchi, then Kimchi stew is pretty good.

Also, a variation on Bibimbap (rice bowl with meat and veggies) is the Kimbop, which is the same ingredients mostly but in sushi roll form. Kind of like the Japanese California roll or Futomaki.

Depending on the restaurant, the Chicken bulgogi can be really good sometimes, too.

And then the seafood pancake is usually great, too. But it can be greasy. It's called Haemul Pajeon.

I usually get the same thing every time, hibachi chicken, steamed vegetables with spicy sauce and kimchee. The little neighborhood place serves lychee fruit mixed with ice cubes for dessert.
Hibachi is Japanese. :poke:

Back