Kit suggestion

Chad

Slender Hobbit
My 9 year old daughter is interested in playing drums. I want to get her a kit for christmas, but I don't want a shitty kids kit and I also don't want to break the bank on one. Any suggestions out there? I am leaning towards a Sound Percussion Labs Unity 4-Piece Drum Set . It seems to have a balance of a decent kit without dropping a ton of cash.

Last edited:
My 9 year old daughter is interested in playing drums. I want to get her a kit for christmas, but I don't want a shitty kids kit and I also don't want to break the bank on one. Any suggestions out there? I am leaning towards a Sound Percussion Labs Unity 4-Piece Drum Set . It seems to have a balance of a decent kit without dropping a ton of cash.
Let me shine the bat signal... @Tyler Walton

GC had some $99 basic ones at Black Friday... not great at all, but decent. Around here you can find older Tama kits for $150-300 with a couple of cymbals and such. I'd definitely buy used when it comes to drums.

I don't know what your budget is Chad, nor do I know how serious your daughter is/has been about the drums. If there is a market for used drums in your area, I would suggest check that out, especially if you're not sure she is serious. That way you wouldn't lose much value if you have to sell them later. On the other hand, if she is serious, then there are some very good intermediate kits available (I have a Gretsch Catalina kit), but keep in mind the cost of the cymbals, stands, bass pedal, and drummer's throne. The cymbals can go from low cost beginner sets, all the way to the pro lines of cymbals. In the case of cymbals, you can save a few bucks, because these can be found used, as well.

I don't know what your budget is Chad, nor do I know how serious your daughter is/has been about the drums. If there is a market for used drums in your area, I would suggest check that out, especially if you're not sure she is serious. That way you wouldn't lose much value if you have to sell them later. On the other hand, if she is serious, then there are some very good intermediate kits available (I have a Gretsch Catalina kit), but keep in mind the cost of the cymbals, stands, bass pedal, and drummer's throne. The cymbals can go from low cost beginner sets, all the way to the pro lines of cymbals. In the case of cymbals, you can save a few bucks, because these can be found used, as well.

I had the Catalina set years ago. This is her with me about 8 years ago playing them.
100_0485.JPG

I want to stay under $500, but I really wan that Gretsch kit again :grin:
I have no idea how serious she is, it is hard to tell with a 10 year old how serious they are with anything. I am sure I will end up playing them more than anyone. The thing I like about the kit I am looking with is it is complete with ridge, high hats, stool and pedal. They aren't the best, but it doesn't look bad for $280.

GC had some $99 basic ones at Black Friday... not great at all, but decent. Around here you can find older Tama kits for $150-300 with a couple of cymbals and such. I'd definitely buy used when it comes to drums.

I checked CL and unless I want to drop over $1000 for a million piece kit, there wasn't much around here. I also don't want to get her a full size kit. The Gretsch Catalina Club kit would be perfect but it is more than I want to (or I should say my wife wants) to spend. :grin:

I had the Catalina set years ago. This is her with me about 8 years ago playing them.
View attachment 17434

I want to stay under $500, but I really wan that Gretsch kit again :grin:
I have no idea how serious she is, it is hard to tell with a 10 year old how serious they are with anything. I am sure I will end up playing them more than anyone. The thing I like about the kit I am looking with is it is complete with ridge, high hats, stool and pedal. They aren't the best, but it doesn't look bad for $280.

Chad, by the picture, I believe I have that exact kit - Catalina Elite 4 piece jazz with an 18x16 kick drum, in White Marine Pearl wrap. I had a 6 piece Catalina Maple kit in the Deep Amber finish, but wanted a smaller jazz sized kit, as well. I couldn't be happier with the Catalina Elite kit, and if you find one, definitely snap it up. The newer Catalina Club Jazz kits are based on the older Catalina Elite kits (but with better lug/tension rod hardware), so I am sure that they are just as impressive.

I had a Catalina Club that i sold to a friend. Good kit and I think I picked it up (shells) for about $250

The most recent MF catalog has a good looking Ludwig Jr. set, w cymbals for a decent price, around $300 I think.

I saw that one too. If she were a little bit younger, that would most likely be the one I went with, but the kick drum is only 16" which is fine for now, but it may be too small too soon. The SPL is 20" which is probably a little big now, but she will grow into it.

Back