Kirk Hammet pisses off every small pedal company.

Why is it that famous people often think that everything they do is new, original, or interesting in any way? I guess that perhaps all the fan adulation really begins to convince people that they got there because of their unique talent, rather than plain old luck...

Well, the shite tone, wah, and bending sharp jokes have all already been made.
I got nothin' else to add.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455656347.826962.jpg

It's a shallow marketing phrase. I saw an ad\demo for the Rocktron Metal Planet where the guy raved about the revolutionary new feature that lets you pick which band\s the MID knob will cut\boost,ignoring the fact that the Boss Metal-zone offered that feature for well over a decade.

and this:
DMXhCDT.jpg

I thought this was interesting: https://www.facebook.com/groups/wamplerfanpage/permalink/1052062864855124/?hc_location=ufi

Brian At Wampler Pedals In 2005, I was building pedals out of a 12x12 room I built in my 2 car garage in Trafalgar, Indiana. I painted the pedals myself, drilled the boxes myself, and built them on stripboard.

In 2006, I was having trouble doing it all myself, and hired someone to help me populate the stripboard, and we started buying painted boxes from smallbear I believe.

In 2007, I hired another person to help me build pedals.

In 2008 I hired several more people. By this time, I had gotten divorced, moved to a different house, and was working out of a barn. This was the first year we exhibited at Summer Namm. At Summer Namm, I met the WGS guys (at that time, called Warehouse Guitar Speakers), and we hit it off.

By 2009 Summer Namm I was exasperated, ready to quit. I learned quite a lot about myself between 2007-2010, and one of them was that I was not talented in the abilities of making the same pedal, over and over, and over, and over. It made it feel like factory work. I hated factory work. I hated being forced to build the same exact thing over and over and over... but I loved breadboarding new ideas and coming up with new designs. I learned that I loved the creative aspect of it, and I loved even more the day to day interaction with customers. Plus, I was pretty good at it.

I voiced my frustrations with my friend David (President of WGS) at this time and his reply was "Dude... you know that we build a lot more than just speakers, right?" I had no idea how *All Of This* worked. I had no idea how the manufacturing business should work. I had no idea how critically important Processes, Procedures, and People Management were to business. All I knew is that I had racked up a ton of credit card debt to keep the company floating and I was barely scraping by after all the bills were paid.

I asked David if he'd be interested in forming a manufacturing business and build our pedals via contract manufacturing. Even though he'd never built guitar pedals per se, I took a chance and we started slowly having him build pedals.

Business picked up year after year. Around 2013 or so I told him "You ought to grow the manufacturing business and help out more builders. Cusack is building for most of the other "boutique" pedal companies, there's no reason why you can't get a piece of that pie."

That's what All-pedal is. It's American Pedal Building in 2016 when you are shipping 3-4000 pedals a month. It's what every company does once they get to the point that they can no longer scale up due to manufacturing issues. And it's not just us - name a "boutique" company that's shipping any decent amount of pedals a month and I'll show you a company that's using contract manufacturing in some way.

Heath Williamson - what the MetallicaPedal company is doing is trying to sell you by using our name, if I had to guess. I don't know their intentions, but that's a good way to springboard a brand.

All-Pedal builds for other brands as well, but each company specifies all the details regarding manufacturing, and there are legal agreements in place that do not allow Company "A"s pedals to sell the same thing with a new name; meaning that whatever Metalli-Pedal does, it's all their thing. They spec the circuit, the layouts, the parts, the test procedures, the everything. Then they give that info to the contract manufacturer and the manufacturer starts building shit loads of pedals.

As mentioned before, this is how it is in every industry where economies of scale come into play. Even that fancy craft beer that you're drinking wink emoticon

Now, with all of this said... let me ask you guys something. Is it important that my hands touch each and every pedal? I hope not! Because that's not what I'm good at. If you want good pedals from us, you want me sitting behind a breadboard with a guitar, designing, creating, and hanging out and talking to you guys. smile emoticon

I thought this was interesting: https://www.facebook.com/groups/wamplerfanpage/permalink/1052062864855124/?hc_location=ufi

Brian At Wampler Pedals In 2005, I was building pedals out of a 12x12 room I built in my 2 car garage in Trafalgar, Indiana. I painted the pedals myself, drilled the boxes myself, and built them on stripboard.

In 2006, I was having trouble doing it all myself, and hired someone to help me populate the stripboard, and we started buying painted boxes from smallbear I believe.

In 2007, I hired another person to help me build pedals.

In 2008 I hired several more people. By this time, I had gotten divorced, moved to a different house, and was working out of a barn. This was the first year we exhibited at Summer Namm. At Summer Namm, I met the WGS guys (at that time, called Warehouse Guitar Speakers), and we hit it off.

By 2009 Summer Namm I was exasperated, ready to quit. I learned quite a lot about myself between 2007-2010, and one of them was that I was not talented in the abilities of making the same pedal, over and over, and over, and over. It made it feel like factory work. I hated factory work. I hated being forced to build the same exact thing over and over and over... but I loved breadboarding new ideas and coming up with new designs. I learned that I loved the creative aspect of it, and I loved even more the day to day interaction with customers. Plus, I was pretty good at it.

I voiced my frustrations with my friend David (President of WGS) at this time and his reply was "Dude... you know that we build a lot more than just speakers, right?" I had no idea how *All Of This* worked. I had no idea how the manufacturing business should work. I had no idea how critically important Processes, Procedures, and People Management were to business. All I knew is that I had racked up a ton of credit card debt to keep the company floating and I was barely scraping by after all the bills were paid.

I asked David if he'd be interested in forming a manufacturing business and build our pedals via contract manufacturing. Even though he'd never built guitar pedals per se, I took a chance and we started slowly having him build pedals.

Business picked up year after year. Around 2013 or so I told him "You ought to grow the manufacturing business and help out more builders. Cusack is building for most of the other "boutique" pedal companies, there's no reason why you can't get a piece of that pie."

That's what All-pedal is. It's American Pedal Building in 2016 when you are shipping 3-4000 pedals a month. It's what every company does once they get to the point that they can no longer scale up due to manufacturing issues. And it's not just us - name a "boutique" company that's shipping any decent amount of pedals a month and I'll show you a company that's using contract manufacturing in some way.

Heath Williamson - what the MetallicaPedal company is doing is trying to sell you by using our name, if I had to guess. I don't know their intentions, but that's a good way to springboard a brand.

All-Pedal builds for other brands as well, but each company specifies all the details regarding manufacturing, and there are legal agreements in place that do not allow Company "A"s pedals to sell the same thing with a new name; meaning that whatever Metalli-Pedal does, it's all their thing. They spec the circuit, the layouts, the parts, the test procedures, the everything. Then they give that info to the contract manufacturer and the manufacturer starts building shit loads of pedals.

As mentioned before, this is how it is in every industry where economies of scale come into play. Even that fancy craft beer that you're drinking wink emoticon

Now, with all of this said... let me ask you guys something. Is it important that my hands touch each and every pedal? I hope not! Because that's not what I'm good at. If you want good pedals from us, you want me sitting behind a breadboard with a guitar, designing, creating, and hanging out and talking to you guys. smile emoticon

Kinda cool. OTOH, I'm sure there will now be a list of brands built by All Pedal or Cusack, and those brands will be lauded by one group and stigmatized by another. As will WGS because that's how this crap goes.

Kinda cool. OTOH, I'm sure there will now be a list of brands built by All Pedal or Cusack, and those brands will be lauded by one group and stigmatized by another. As will WGS because that's how this crap goes.
Well, nothing can be that good if all of the mystique of a guy cranking out pedals in his basement all day is stripped away, now can it?

Well, nothing can be that good if all of the mystique of a guy cranking out pedals in his basement all day is stripped away, now can it?

One guy in that thread asks the magic question, "I wonder how many different tube screamers that manufacturing plant puts out in a day". Brian deflects, but it would be interesting to see just how many similar pedals by different companies are made there, and then compare all of of them.

One guy in that thread asks the magic question, "I wonder how many different tube screamers that manufacturing plant puts out in a day". Brian deflects, but it would be interesting to see just how many similar pedals by different companies are made there, and then compare all of of them.
Absolutely. It would make quite a bit of crystal lettuce disappear rather quickly, me thinks.

Back