kippers

I eat them all the time.. Kippers are herring..
I prefer them over sardines..
I go against tradition though and like them in tomato or mustard..

Golden smoked are cool too...

I'm thinking maybe I should crack open a lot now........

I'm a fan. I have yet to encounter a small oily fish preparation that I'm not a fan of.

Kippers? Two-faced bastards with no guts, my dear old dad used to say.

Tinned kippers is an escalation of wrongness.

Could we have kippers for breakfast
Mummy dear, Mummy dear
They got to have 'em in Texas
'Cause everyone's a millionaire

Smoke me a kipper for breakfast!
x1pc1.jpg

Love 'em all -- kippered herring, pickled herring, sardines, anchovies. Any of these small fishes are WAY healthier than the bigger ones -- less mercury, lower levels of other pollutants, high in Omega-3 fatty acids.

I discovered something in Devon (Dartmouth, to be precise) that I've never seen here: Whitebait -- small fish fried up whole. They were fantastic, even though it's essentially similar to taking a bunch of minnows and frying them.

whitebait1.jpg

I discovered something in Devon (Dartmouth, to be precise) that I've never seen here: Whitebait -- small fish fried up whole. They were fantastic, even though it's essentially similar to taking a bunch of minnows and frying them.

whitebait1.jpg
This is not unlike the fried smelt I used to look forward to getting every spring in wisconsin

Where do you get those, yabba?
I haven't since back in my youthiness, but there were lotsa places around madison that did smelt fries (often on fridays). Typically the 'supper club' type places (that might be a mostly wisconsin thing too.. like brandy old fashioneds. do supper clubs exist elsewhere in the midwest?)

I'm gonna have to find one and make the trip up to sconny soon.

Love kippers & sardines. When I was a kid, we would always have pan fried smelts around chrimbo...fresh or frozen, whatever was available. Simple roll in seasoned flour and into the skillet they went when the oil got hot. 2 minutes, turn, 2 more minutes....done. When I got out of the Corps, I took over the cooking duties at home. Made a batch of remoulade sauce to go with 'em once and that was it. Never ate them plain again.

I only had smelts on Christmas eve.
The Italian 7 fishes thing. They were ok.

Back