Kind of a studio rebuild.

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
I realized that my new Macbook Pro is a much better platform to running the current version of Protools so I've spent some of yesterday and part of today installing Protools 12, Bias FX Professional, Addictive Drums 2 and a bunch of other stuff and doing some review on how to use it all. With my Apogee Duet I think I'll have a nice little recording platform to start work on a new project that I'm pretty excited about...my 27" iMac is almost 7 years old and even with 16 gigs of ram the processor just can't keep up with a lot of the plugins I use (which is sad when I think of what @El Borrachito uses on a daily basis in his studio). Freezing and rebooting gets old.

12657187_10153950678087425_3768595822914017768_o.jpg

A little frustrated that Macbook Pro's not quite getting it done? I can make you feel. I'll give you the specs on my laptop, and it'l give you a good laugh. :spit:

A little frustrated that Macbook Pro's not quite getting it done? I can make you feel. I'll give you the specs on my laptop, and it'l give you a good laugh. :spit:
We used to *dream* of a hole in the road.

I run Reaper on a four-year-old netbook with 1Gb of RAM and Windows 7. I have to render drum tracks to free up enough CPU for freeware guitar amp plugins.

But actually, it's still got enough grunt if you eke it out carefully.

No, the MacBook is what IS getting the job done. My iMac is just a bit elderly.

We used to *dream* of a hole in the road.

I run Reaper on a four-year-old netbook with 1Gb of RAM and Windows 7. I have to render drum tracks to free up enough CPU for freeware guitar amp plugins.

But actually, it's still got enough grunt if you eke it out carefully.
I wouldn't be able to use anything like that... I'm running too many virtual things at once and need to be able to make quick alterations on the fly.

I wouldn't be able to use anything like that... I'm running too many virtual things at once and need to be able to make quick alterations on the fly.
Oh, sure. For a professional my rig would be a disaster. But compared to the four-track cassette tape thing I never had, or what the Beatles started with, I'm in the lap of luxury.

I just bit the bulletI needed a laptop for school and figured this would get me along for a while before I had to get a new desktop.

Understood. I want to go back to the Mac platform as well but unsure when that will happen. Need to research it soon, maybe after taxes.

Back