Kids react to the Beatles

It's surprising what kind of music kids really dig, once they get past the usual stuff.

My daughter will be 21 this year. While she digs Gaga,she also is a huge Rush and Rod Stewart fan, among others. When I jump into our old Santa Fe that she drives when she,s home, it's always on a classic rock station.

The music is 50 years old. It is good stuff, but why should that be a criteria for hope for the future?

I think that was semi tongue-in-cheek, seeing what is generally popular with kids these days (although, hasn't that been said for decades, anyway? :wink: )

I think that was semi tongue-in-cheek, seeing what is generally popular with kids these days (although, hasn't that been said for decades, anyway? :wink: )
That just hits one of my buttons. I get ticked off at people of my generation who want to dismiss today's music and insist that kids would be better of listening the the music of the past. We told our parents how wrong they were when they tried laying that on us.

That just hits one of my buttons. I get ticked off at people of my generation who want to dismiss today's music and insist that kids would be better of listening the the music of the past. We told our parents how wrong they were when they tried laying that on us.

It's not that they would be better off, it's just that they recognize it and have an appreciation. My parents' music was mostly big band (Glenn Miller, Tommy Dorsey, etc.) and I always thought it was catchy even though I preferred Zepplin. :shrug:

It's not that they would be better off, it's just that they recognize it and have an appreciation. My parents' music was mostly big band (Glenn Miller, Tommy Dorsey, etc.) and I always thought it was catchy even though I preferred Zepplin. :shrug:
I am not referring to you here, just a general attitude of my peers who do not realize they became their parents. Actually, Carol is often guilty of this; one area where we disagree.

My son likes a lot of contemporary music, but he still will call me sometimes when an awesome Classic Rock song is on the radio, just so we can share the moment. He did get free tickets to see the Moody Blues once, but then he gave them away. He just doesn't know the Moody Blues. I was like, "Dude! Really?"

My daughter is seven and loves watching The Beatles on Ed Sullivan. I think it's the simplicity and bounciness of the songs. She probably wouldn't dig Let It Be.

My son likes a lot of contemporary music, but he still will call me sometimes when an awesome Classic Rock song is on the radio, just so we can share the moment. He did get free tickets to see the Moody Blues once, but then he gave them away. He just doesn't know the Moody Blues. I was like, "Dude! Really?"

I probably wouldn't go either.

Back