Kia Forte SX?

bsman

b00b
On paper, this hot hatch looks killer: 1.6L turbocharged engine, 201 HP/195 ft lb torque @ 1750rpm, fully done up entertainment/electronics, all kinds of stuff like heated door mirros -- all for less than $18K?!?!?

Tell me that it's too good to be true!

You're giving up a lot of fit and finish details with a Kia...

Supposedly, the new models have really addressed this. In fact, the reviews I have read on this particular model all note at the really top-notch materials used in the interior. I think things have probably changed a lot since the days of my daughter's '06 Spectra5!

Every review of the koop and the hatch I've read could be summed up as "eh.... It's ok"

BTW- interestingly, Kia is #2 in the JD Power 2015 initial quality survey; Hyundai is #4. The Koreans are eating the Japanese's lunch these days?

BTW- interestingly, Kia is #2 in the JD Power 2015 initial quality survey; Hyundai is #4. The Koreans are eating the Japanese's lunch these days?
Initial quality survey is probably the least useful of the marginally useful ratings. It's basically more influenced by buyers ability to understand the controls and features of the car than anything.

Mia drove a Kia it's well known she's glad to see ya. Living breathing example of a Kia being better than any goddamn thing

I almost bought one when I was looking for a new car this past February. A local dealer had a 2013 that only had a couple of thousand miles on it, for $16k.

I ended up going with a 2014 Chevy Cruze. Some of the stuff on the Kia felt a bit cheap, plus the Cruze was supposed to get (and is) better mileage. The 2013 Kia was only rated 32 mpg highway. I've done 2 trips to Cleveland this year in the Cruze and have averaged about 35 mpg both trips, including driving all over Cleveland both times.

News update: I'm going to test-drive a 2016 Mazda 6 "i touring" model with a six-speed manual today. Not really what I was looking for, but the salesman (an ex-boyfriend of my daughter) said it's a "manager's special) at $21,888.

I saw a new Mazda 3 this afternoon and had to come home to look it up. Very close to a 6 in styling. Both great looking cars.

Which I find hilarious since I'm driving a nearly 4000 lbs truck that has at least 50 less hp and ft/lbs than the Kia, which I'm sure weighs less than 1/2 as much.

Well, that is a truck. This is supposed to be a hot hatch. A ~3000 pound car with 200 HP isn't hot, but more on the warmish side. Needs around 300.

Since we're talking hot hatches, given that the focus rs just went live the other day on ford's site, you have to buy one and report back. Thanks.

I already played with the RS configuration tool. Not many options to click, but fun anyway. That car looks amazing. AWD and 345 hp with a manual sounds awesome. I think I saw somewhere that early tests suggest a 0-100 km/hr in something like 4.6-4.7 seconds. I want one. The car I configured was 40k.

Kia and Hyundai have been on an amazing run the last few years. Both have stepped up their game big time. I wouldn't be opposed to owning either.

That said, one of the cars we considered before we got the FIAT was a Kia Sol (Hamster Mobile). We ended up driving a new one for a few days whole the FIAT dealer was trying to unfuck my car (which they fucked in the 1st place), and I'm so glad we didn't get that Kia.

It wasn't terrible, but it was very "cheap" feeling inside. The ride quality was awful. Road noise was deafening, power steering so vague you felt no sense of feedback or control. It had zero balls. Auto Trans was always hunting for the right gear. Turning radius was on par with the Queen Mary. Handling and stability were alarmingly sloppy. The factory infotainment system was awful. Driver visibility sucked.

Other than those few minor gripes, I liked it. ..

:)

I already played with the RS configuration tool. Not many options to click, but fun anyway. That car looks amazing. AWD and 345 hp with a manual sounds awesome. I think I saw somewhere that early tests suggest a 0-100 km/hr in something like 4.6-4.7 seconds. I want one. The car I configured was 40k.

Price puts it squarely into the pack w/ the R, STI and EVO. Launch mode, Drift mode and dynamic AWD torque vectoring developed by GKN....I'm really curious to see how this handles compared to the competition,

http://www.gkn.com/frankfurt/news-a...s-innovative-AWD-system-to-Ford-Focus-RS.aspx
http://i.imgur.com/jWWUTV2.jpg

I think it is priced in the right place for what it is and what it does. It certainly is in line with the STI and Golf R, as you pointed out. My concern is that for 8K more you can get a base model GT350. That makes for a tough decision, as the GT350 (and mustang in general) is a very competent sports coupe these days, and likely bests the Focus in just about every performance spec (except for curb weight). I prefer a 4 door hatch over a coupe, but I think I am in the minority.

My concern is that for 8K more you can get a base model GT350. That makes for a tough decision, as the GT350 (and mustang in general) is a very competent sports coupe these days, and likely bests the Focus in just about every performance spec (except for curb weight). I prefer a 4 door hatch over a coupe, but I think I am in the minority.

I don't really think those two cars are competing for the same customer so it's all good for Ford.

Back