Keeping tuner bushings in place.

jp_nyc

Kick Henry Jackassowski
The weird old Japanese guitar I’ve been fixing up is almost done. I just need to replace the tuner bushings. Except they’re an odd size—large by less than half a millimeter—so I can’t get new bushings to fit and I’m not paying $50 for vintage parts. I have a set of bushings that are just slightly small—they fit the holes but can be pulled out easily. What should I use to keep them in place? I could plug the holes and drill new ones, but that seems like overkill. If I put bits of toothpick in the hole they’ll just get pushed off when I slide the bushings in. Would gluing paper into the holes and flattening it against the sides with a dowel work?

I'd probably do the toothpick thing if you can't find larger bushings.

EDIT: just saw your bit about them sliding out. I got nothing.

When I put new tuners in my old Guyatone I didn't worry about it that much. If I remember correctly I might have put a dab of glue on them, but it never caused me any headaches. By the time you get strings on there and tune it up the tension will keep everything in place.

Gorilla_glue.png

it expands a bit when drying so just smear a thin layer on the outside of the bushings and push into place.

Pipe tape +1. But ... why can't you make the toothpick thing work? Can't you do the toothpicks 2nd?

I ended up using Gorilla Glue because the pipe tapes I could find were either too thin or too thick. 335clone was dead-on about Gorilla Glue expanding; now those bushings aren’t going anywhere. But if anybody else tries it, go easy on the glue. It foams up and spreads out to the headstock like canned insulation.

Back