Keeley D&M Drive

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
A kinda funny review of the D&M (Dan and Mick from That Pedal Show) Drive. If I hadn't of just bought a bunch of pedals I'be be interested in trying one of these for my big pedal board. Especially since with TRS cables I could use each side as an individual pedal with my looper. I love that idea.

Just curious: When did Keeley go from selling mods to Boss BD- 2s, DS-1s and delays that the buyers send them to making their own branded pedals?

Just curious: When did Keeley go from selling mods to Boss BD- 2s, DS-1s and delays that the buyers send them to making their own branded pedals?
Quite a while ago. Keeley had their compressor pedal at least a decade ago.

Ah..the compressor came out way back in 2001:

After graduating in electrical engineering from the University of Oklahoma, Robert Keeley started his company from his home in Oklahoma City in 2001. He initially hoped to build guitar amplifiers (he tweaked his father's Peavey Deuce[2]), but found the market "highly saturated and becoming more so every day".[3] Instead, while teaching at a small technical college and employing "some of his best students",[2] he rebuilt and modified old effects units, starting with a Ross compressor. The industry for makers of hand-built effects at the time had few major players (Keeley named Mike Piera of Analog Man and Mike Fuller from Fulltone as his only competitors), and his business soon took off, aided by a reputation for quality and customers such as Brad Paisley. Rebuilt versions of the Ibanez TS9 were used by Peter Frampton, Jon Herington and Ike Willis; Keeley said he got his ideas for improving and tweaking existing effect pedals by reading commentary on various forums for guitar players. Since then, he develops his own pedals, starting with a boost pedal; his most popular effect is a compressor (first built in 2001), selling more than 27,000 copies.[3]

According to Guitar World, Keeley Electronics has grown into "one of the world’s top sellers of guitar effects pedals".[4] Keeley claims that part of his success is due to carefully selecting electronic components with low tolerance.[2][3] They opened up a second factory, where they make flight cases and guitar pickups; in 2009, the company briefly moved production of effect pedals there after a fire in the first factory.[4][5]

Keeley still builds custom-ordered and modified effects; assignments include tweaking an MXR Phase 90 for Donald Fagen[3] and building a combined distortion/blues driver/wah for Neil Zaza.[6]

I wish their pedal was something different. I don't have a need for a boost and I've got more dirt than I know what to do with :grin:

I wish their pedal was something different. I don't have a need for a boost and I've got more dirt than I know what to do with :grin:
Yeah. If I wasn't already flush in this area I consider it. It sounds nice in the demos I've heard and there is a certain amount of utility in the design.

My Sparkledrive MOD pedal is like the Brokeback Mountain of effects though. On the 1st mod position it is the best functioning "drive channel into a clean amp" thing ever for me. And when I play my rig at home or onstage I hear all kinds of things I don't dig about it but when I'm actually on the gig and the whole band is going nothing else is as functional.

Back