Just found a great free notation program.

micwalt

Too Controversial To Have An Athleisure Line
https://musescore.org/

I needed to transcribe a section of Frankenstein for my keyboard player, and this really did the trick. It read the notes from my keyboard--I just had to do the note values, time sig, key sig. Saved me a bunch of time having to show him at the next practice.

So does this program transcribe things that you actually play on an instrument or do you have to manually enter the note(s)? I see that you said it read the notes from the keyboard but could you say, play you're guitar instead and it could transcribe that?

So does this program transcribe things that you actually play on an instrument or do you have to manually enter the note(s)? I see that you said it read the notes from the keyboard but could you say, play you're guitar instead and it could transcribe that?
You can play it on a keyboard, as long as you're connected properly via midi. You have to choose your own note values, though (half note, quarter note, dots, ties, rests, etc.--although, if you skip to the next measure, the program inserts the appropriate rests for you).

I've been recommending MuseScore for a while. It is decent, free, well-documented, actively developed, it reads midi files and there's a plugin for embedding snippets in Open Office docs.

(I like to grab midi files from the net and extract bass lines; is a cheat-code for the idle transcriber.)

Back