Just bought a Panama 1x12 Cab

Separate inputs.

Also has an attenuator knob on the back, but I just tend to leave it up full blast all the time.
Yeah, I would imagine I wouldn't need the attenuator knob either, besides I'm betting it's really just a volume knob inserted between the input and speaker.
My Quickrod has one in the FX loop.

Yeah, I would imagine I wouldn't need the attenuator knob either, besides I'm betting it's really just a volume knob inserted between the input and speaker.
My Quickrod has one in the FX loop.

There’s a big difference in those locations. A volume pot in the FX loop lowers preamp level before it hits the power amp. A volume pot between the power amp and speaker will melt, burst into flame, or explode. It’s probably just a simple LPAD attenuator. Anyone can build one from less than $20 worth of parts. Since Panama can buy the parts wholesale, and doesn’t have to use a nice project box for it, they’re probably only spending a few dollars to add this feature.

Gotcha...yup mine is just a loop volume but it works effectively enough to lower the volume for home use. Some have complained about high end loss but it doesn't seem to be the case with the Splawn. It's a bright amp to begin with so I'm good with a little high end loss. (My ears don't necessarily perceive it as a negative in my case)

Update: noticed the baffle board developed a big ass crack in it, running from the edge of the board to the edge of one of the speakers. Bummer. Told Panama about it and got a reply 5 minutes later, no questions asked, saying they'll send me a new one as soon as one is in stock. It should be shipping this week. Not happy about the crack, but the customer service is doing a hell of a good job at least.

Update: noticed the baffle board developed a big ass crack in it, running from the edge of the board to the edge of one of the speakers. Bummer. Told Panama about it and got a reply 5 minutes later, no questions asked, saying they'll send me a new one as soon as one is in stock. It should be shipping this week. Not happy about the crack, but the customer service is doing a hell of a good job at least.

That kicks ass, well the service not the crack. How are you liking the cab?

That kicks ass, well the service not the crack. How are you liking the cab?

Certainly worth the price (and the freebie upgrade I got). It's a serviceable, inexpensive cab, which can take a beating and I won't really mind (though I baby my gear).

It's a good cab. Not great. Looks neat too.

Was the baffle solid wood, plywood, or MDF

solid purpleheart. it either just took a light shock that cracked it (it's only been moved twice and carefully) or it could be that the relatively dry winter air did it. i suspect the latter, though the room where i keep my amps generally has a steady, reasonable humidity level.

Back