Just binge-watched all 13 episodes of Netflix's "Daredevil"...

baimun

Funkasaurus Rex
*** Spoiler Free Review ***

Marvel has been slaying it in the box office with all of the Avengers and individual movies, but their TV record has not been received as well. Agents of Shield has been solid but no necessarily "must watch" over the first two seasons, and Agent Carter's reviews were even more mixed.

This all changes with the new Marvel Netflix universe.

Daredevil takes the comic book story lines and drops them into a Sopranos-esque world. Villains aren't characterizations, they're defined, gritty, and at times even sympathetic. But when events go sideways.... the violence is like nothing you've seen yet from the Marvel Universe. Even the gore splatter of the Punisher doesn't measure up because it doesn't have the same gravity. These characters are unveiled in a 13 episode series that is primed for binge watching as it enthralls and envelopes you.

While there are the expected winks and nods to comic book names and places, Daredevil never settles for any cheap gags. You feel like Hell's Kitchen really is the downtrodden neighborhood left in the shadow of the Battle of New York in the Avengers. Every casting choice from Matt Murdock to Foggy Nelson, Ben Ulrich, Karen Page, and the Kingpin himself, Wilson Fisk, are spot on.

While this is a Daredevil origin story, more importantly it's an origin story of the street-level flipside to the Avengers cinematic universe. It will soon be populated with characters like Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and Daniel Rand, aka Iron Fist. It will culminate after those seasons with "The Defenders" and I couldn't be more pleased with this new extension of the Marvel Universe in its entirety.

daredevil-red-costume-lo-res.jpg

The first episode was good, and I love the girl. She was the only thing that made True Blood bearable when my wife was watching that show.

I had a bad experience binge watching Squidbillies. I was mentally ill for a while.

Reactions: Tig
I had a bad experience binge watching Squidbillies. I was mentally ill for a while.
As one would be after 30 seconds exposure of Squidbillies. I tried to watch that show once and felt the immediate affects of brain damage...

Discussing Squidbillies in this thread would be considered a tangent.

I just finished the first three episodes. I was not expecting to like it, but i do. I use to own Daredevil #1.

I really enjoyed it. Daredevil has been my favorite superhero comic, largely based on the fact that it has had a great track record of having had great writers doing extended runs (Miller, Bendis, Brubaker, Waid) and the fact that it has a terrific supporting cast.

There are some scenes that didn't quite land, and I was eventually annoyed with some writing quirks, but the vast majority of it worked very well.

I really appreciated how so much of it was filmed on location in NYC, how very little of it was obviously CGI, and how patient it is. It would have been easy and obvious for them to exploit the love triangle, but they didn't really go down that road at all.

You can tell they put a lot of work into the fight scenes. And the direction for the fights are very refreshing. I appreciate the close quarters JKD/Kali/Krav stuff. The back and forth hallway fight to rescue the little boy was pretty entertaining with the camera work and DD taking so many bad hits and falls.

Will check this out when my Trailer Park Boys binge is complete. I've never read any of the comics, will I still be able to follow things well?

Will check this out when my Trailer Park Boys binge is complete. I've never read any of the comics, will I still be able to follow things well?
I read them a long time ago, so I can't remember anything from them. Doesn't matter.
It's a great show. You definitely have to suspend disbelief a fair amount, but it's a comic.

My fellow IT geeks at work highly recommend it so I'm downloading the whole season today.

I never read them either and I am into it.

I think I like the fight scene in the cab company the best. I like when they just show the guys get taken out, but you don't really see who is doing it until the last one.

Back