June Songwriting Thread REVEAL!!!!

@mnewb1 nice sound selections. I especially like the bass. This kind of reminds me of Daft Punk meets Phoenix (a good thing!) The guitar solo rips too - great tone. What are you using?

It is my PRS singlecut through the interface into Logic, then using Logic Custom Studio Distortion Amp into the British 1 x12 and for the pedalboard a tape delay and compressor...There is EQ and a compressor on the channel strip and then bussed into a reverb on a separate channel

Last edited:
Nice job guys. I wish I was capable of recording so I could participate.

Peen, are you a fan of the Violent Femmes? You vocal and delivery remind me a lot of Gordon Gano, which is a good thing.

Peen, are you a fan of the Violent Femmes? You vocal and delivery remind me a lot of Gordon Gano, which is a good thing.
I've told him the same thing a couple of times in the past too.

Also...you could get the required gear to do some home recording for a lot less than you probably think. Software, an interface, some studio monitors and you're in business my friend. Couple-few hundred bucks.

I've told him the same thing a couple of times in the past too.

Also...you could get the required gear to do some home recording for a lot less than you probably think. Software, an interface, some studio monitors and you're in business my friend. Couple-few hundred bucks.

I have gear, I'm just terrible at it. I can't get drum tracks and without those, I can't even start. I've toyed with the idea of an electronic kit that i could connect to the computer but that would suck money out of my guitar gear budget and I can't have that :grin:

I have gear, I'm just terrible at it. I can't get drum tracks and without those, I can't even start. I've toyed with the idea of an electronic kit that i could connect to the computer but that would suck money out of my guitar gear budget and I can't have that :grin:
I use Steven Slate drums. Some of the other guys here use other brands but I'm sure they are all similar. Take a look into what's available. Most of them are pretty easy to get started with. For making a basic beat you could be doing that in under an hour. It's the DAW itself that has a bigger learning curve.

I use Steven Slate drums. Some of the other guys here use other brands but I'm sure they are all similar. Take a look into what's available. Most of them are pretty easy to get started with. For making a basic beat you could be doing that in under an hour. It's the DAW itself that has a bigger learning curve.

I've tried a few ones in the past. Just such a pain in the ass and tedious. I don't have the time or patience to put in an hour on a computer getting drums down. I'd rather go to a studio and hire a good drummer :grin:

I've tried a few ones in the past. Just such a pain in the ass and tedious. I don't have the time or patience to put in an hour on a computer getting drums down. I'd rather go to a studio and hire a good drummer :grin:
I probably spend 5 minutes getting my initial drum sound using EZDrummer 2. Then I track guitar, etc over it. Then I come back later sometimes and spend more time tweaking it, adding fills and crashes, changing kit sounds. After you do it once, you'll be golden.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I probably spend 5 minutes getting my initial drum sound using EZDrummer 2. Then I track guitar, etc over it. Then I come back later sometimes and spend more time tweaking it, adding fills and crashes, changing kit sounds. After you do it once, you'll be golden.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
This is what I do as well. I have my laptop hooked up to a midi keyboard which has the pressure sensitive pads. Makes it really easy.

Like everyone who was a teenager in the 1990s, I was legally required to own a copy of the first Femmes record. I even saw 'em at a live gig at UofI 20 years ago, but--beyond general familiarity--I'm not a Femmes super fan or anything. And resemblance is unintentional--likely a result of similar vocal timbre, upper Midwestern or Great Lakes region accent/vocal tics, and an overlapping record collection with every nerdy, "nervy" songwriting dweeb on the planet. In particular, I reckon that some of the similarities are just general tendencies picked up from all sorts of singers attempting to split the difference between Buddy Holly and Bob Dylan.

Like everyone who was a teenager in the 1990s, I was legally required to own a copy of the first Femmes record. I even saw 'em at a live gig at UofI 20 years ago, but--beyond general familiarity--I'm not a Femmes super fan or anything. And resemblance is unintentional--likely a result of similar vocal timbre, upper Midwestern or Great Lakes region accent/vocal tics, and an overlapping record collection with every nerdy, "nervy" songwriting dweeb on the planet. In particular, I reckon that some of the similarities are just general tendencies picked up from all sorts of singers attempting to split the difference between Buddy Holly and Bob Dylan.

It wasn't just required for teens in the 90s. Us teens in the 80s had to have it too. :grin:

U of I at Champaign??

I have a set of Yamaha digital drums. My drumming sucks, though, so I generally use the preset patterns. It does allow me to add fills if I want, though. I don't record on the computer, so loops don't work for me.

I never saw the Violent Femmes, but I did see Gordon Gano's Mercy Seat at a small club in Baltimore, the 8 x 10 Club. It was an interesting mix of gospel and punk music.

I grew up by there but went to WIU

Where at by there? My wife is from north of there (Iroquois Co.) and I went to school at EIU. Have spent a lot of time in the are...good friend has lived in Champaign and then in Charleston, and I've driven all around on various adventures.

Back