John Mayer bitches about Fender on Twitter....

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
Stolen from @PunkKitty on FB.

https://twitter.com/JohnMayer/status/521763349873172480

10672289_514148488688309_8027047221471004173_n.jpg

It's a shame how many iconic guitar brands are not what they used to be... Gibson and Fender are the most notable, but honestly I don't feel that PRS has been the same in the past few years.

Joe Knaggs saw the writing on the wall and left to make his own brand of guitars, the "new" models are less innovative than past years and the guitars are starting to be more like Gibsons and Fenders where you have to play several "nice" guitars to find a "great" one. It wasn't that many years ago that it seemed like they couldn't turn out a bad guitar, but with production being sped up while keeping costs low, the guitars are becoming more generic.

On the bright side, if you save your pennies, there are more great independent builders than ever before like Thorn, Kauer, McFeely, Koll, and Schroeder just to name a few.

Posting a vague message such as that seems very unprofessional to me. It would have been better had he actually articulated what is causing him to suddenly write that post. Is it quality control? Is it money? Is it an executive who pissed him off?

Fender and Gibson jumped the shark long ago, and PRS, admittedly, is growing into a large operation (which concerns me a bit). But as @baimun pointed out, there seem to be more small shops than ever, like Kauer and McFeely (of course), as well as Giffin, Walker, and so many others. If I were set on a new guitar, I'd look at the little guys first.

Posting a vague message such as that seems very unprofessional to me. It would have been better had he actually articulated what is causing him to suddenly write that post. Is it quality control? Is it money? Is it an executive who pissed him off?
agreed. who knew Mayer was an asshat? :wink:

Fender and Gibson jumped the shark long ago, and PRS, admittedly, is growing into a large operation (which concerns me a bit). But as @baimun pointed out, there seem to be more small shops than ever, like Kauer and McFeely (of course), as well as Giffin, Walker, and so many others. If I were set on a new guitar, I'd look at the little guys first.

If I were set on a used guitar, I'd still check out the little guys first.

That would be my concern if I were in business with him...does he throw everyone under the bus publicly?

If I were set on a used guitar, I'd still check out the little guys first.
I just don't have the same internal calculation when buying used. the big guys already got their $, so nothing factors into the decision aside from the guitar itself, my needs, and my budget. that was the point I was making. But sure, if you can find a good deal on a used boutique guitar, hit it...

It's a shame how many iconic guitar brands are not what they used to be... Gibson and Fender are the most notable, but honestly I don't feel that PRS has been the same in the past few years.

Joe Knaggs saw the writing on the wall and left to make his own brand of guitars, the "new" models are less innovative than past years and the guitars are starting to be more like Gibsons and Fenders where you have to play several "nice" guitars to find a "great" one. It wasn't that many years ago that it seemed like they couldn't turn out a bad guitar, but with production being sped up while keeping costs low, the guitars are becoming more generic.

On the bright side, if you save your pennies, there are more great independent builders than ever before like Thorn, Kauer, McFeely, Koll, and Schroeder just to name a few.

Do they do lefty models?

Back