John Bonham

Actually, I always found the different time signatures in the prechorus of Black Dog to be disturbing to me...

Actually, I always found the different time signatures in the prechorus of Black Dog to be disturbing to me...
If you think about it, it had to done like that. If the tempo stayed the same as the verse, the whole song would be off to the races. That was a calculated decision and not some random happenstance. Part of his and the bands brilliance.

There are no different time signatures in Black Dog.
It's straight 4/4 all the way through.

The main riff sounds off/ disjointed at times. Time sig sounds consistent.

Slight tempo fluctuations--no worse than any other track from any other band of the era of no click tracks.
The guitar turnaround is the part that gets wonky.

Slight tempo fluctuations--no worse than any other track from any other band of the era of no click tracks.
The guitar turnaround is the part that gets wonky.
To me, those variations are part of the magic of this song and Zep in general. I love those idiosyncrasies.

I was gonna say this as well but decided to let that one go. Lol
Tempo changes only.

There's quite a few YouTube videos showing how the drums and bass deviate from the guitar (time signature wise) and reunite over the course of the track. If I wasn't too lazy I'd dig it up for you. It's quite interesting. 400 level shit for sure

There's quite a few YouTube videos showing how the drums and bass deviate from the guitar (time signature wise) and reunite over the course of the track. If I wasn't too lazy I'd dig it up for you. It's quite interesting. 400 level shit for sure
Well, like micwalt posted...
The time signature doesn't change. It's all 4/4. It's the tempo that changes.
But because the sung parts when the music isn't playing is in free time, it may "seem" like it changes.
It may speed up or slow down but the actual time signature remains a constant 4/4.

Well, like micwalt posted...
The time signature doesn't change. It's all 4/4. It's the tempo that changes.
But because the sung parts when the music isn't playing is in free time, it may "seem" like it changes.
It may speed up or slow down but the actual time signature remains a constant 4/4.
Right. Also, the drums don't do anything weird--they stay straight 4/4. Because the guitar part veers off, it sounds like a time sig change, but it's not.
Another good example of this is Cult of Personality. The bass and guitar are going all over the place, but the drums are straight 4 throughout.

Back