JG Futuremaster

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
Guy stole my inspiration for the McFeely 454. Mine is $5000 cheaper though.

http://www.destroyallguitars.com/ne...4-jg-futuremaster-preowned-unplayed-dead-mint

$7,000.00

item is in stock

DESCRIPTION:
Here we have a pre-owned but unplayed dead mint Futuremaster.

The Futuremaster is Johan's homage to the late '50s korina Flying V and Explorer. He has retained the extended neck tenon of both models while incorporating the body extension/heel cap construction used in the original issue V and a similar interior routing pattern. The body of the Futuremaster is a bit thicker than Johan's other slab guitars (1.90" as opposed to 1.75"). He has redistributed the mass of the V and Explorer into the more compact Bluesmaster perimeter shape. The Futuremaster has a fast attack, excellent sustain, features a select korina (white limba) body and neck with a rosewood fingerboard.

SPECS:
- Solid korina body
- Korina neck
- Brazilian fretboard

- ThroBak SLE101MXV humbuckers w/ push-pull coil taps
- Gotoh Kluson tuners

PRICING INFO:
- $7,000.00

$7000?????

With the best will in the world, I really do not see the justification for the price here on what appears to be a relatively simple guitar, nice though it is.

I've read that this guy is the best guitar maker currently on the erf right now, but I've never had the pleasure to play any of his instruments. While this one isn't floating my boat, one of his that sold (used) for 12K on Wildwood last year was the coolest guitar I've ever seen.

I've read that this guy is the best guitar maker currently on the erf right now, but I've never had the pleasure to play any of his instruments. While this one isn't floating my boat, one of his that sold (used) for 12K on Wildwood last year was the coolest guitar I've ever seen.

I like Johann the person a lot. I've always enjoyed talking to him when he was at namm for PBG. His guitars are very nice.

However, best in the world is arguable. Honestly, it is in the best interest of his customers to keep that perception up to keep the demand and resale value up on their "investments". You will rarely see someone openly talk about any disappointments with instrument that costs more than some of our cars.

To be clear, I'm not saying they aren't worth the money or that there are disappointed owners out there. Rather that there are many factors and incentives in people ensuring the value stays up on their product.

I cant for the life of me think of what element of that guitar denotes "future". Looks more like just another overpriced retrocaster to me :shrug:

I like Johann the person a lot. I've always enjoyed talking to him when he was at namm for PBG. His guitars are very nice.

However, best in the world is arguable. Honestly, it is in the best interest of his customers to keep that perception up to keep the demand and resale value up on their "investments". You will rarely see someone openly talk about any disappointments with instrument that costs more than some of our cars.

To be clear, I'm not saying they aren't worth the money or that there are disappointed owners out there. Rather that there are many factors and incentives in people ensuring the value stays up on their product.
And for the record, I wasn't arguing that he is. If anything, your point reinforces the things I've read, in that nobody is going to decry an instrument that they paid 20K to own.

And for the record, I wasn't arguing that he is. If anything, your point reinforces the things I've read, in that nobody is going to decry an instrument that they paid 20K to own.

Exactly my point.

I'd rather have a Thorn honestly when it comes to Korina instruments.

I kind of have the same problem with partscaster builders. I mean in the grand scheme of things, all of our woods come from the same places / regions ect. The only real power any of us have is buying enough volume in wood to be picky about it or working with mills / yards direct.

So really, the price is completely subjective to if you want it bad enough. If no one else makes an alternative to that exact guitar that you'd want, well that's the price it is then.

While not the exact guitar, here's the model that I really, really like.

p2_udl1xcmp2_so.jpg

Just not seeing the attraction to this guitar. I suppose it must play well and all that, but really, really meh. A couple steps below meh even.

Gold hardware on a tele is analogous to french lace trim on mechanics coveralls -- wrong, just wrong.

Back