Jet city 20w tube amp

IamSeaDevil

WTF? FTW!
Today's stupid deal is tempting
image.jpg

I had the older version and it would have been great if I was in a hard rock band. It didn't clean up as much as I would like.

I had the older version and it would have been great if I was in a hard rock band. It didn't clean up as much as I would like.

I have two older ones and while I agree with you, I also can disagree as well. One of the things I did with my was get rid of the Chinese Tubes in them and replaced with JJ's. This helped to get rid of the buzzyness of the sound. The second thing was to replace V2 with a 5751 instead of 12AX7. This helped to clean up the sound more and your guitar's volume knob has more control. The tone controls on the amp have more of an impact as well due to the reduced gain of the tone stage. Last of all, run the master between 6-7 and adjust your preamp between 4-6 depending on how much overall volume you need. Use the guitar volume knob to clean up the sound as necessary and dial it to 10 for crunch.

I was able to discuss this Michael Soldano a few years back at NAMM and when I did, he had great big Cheshire Cat grin and said: "Sweet Spot of the amp".

I have two older ones and while I agree with you, I also can disagree as well. One of the things I did with my was get rid of the Chinese Tubes in them and replaced with JJ's. This helped to get rid of the buzzyness of the sound. The second thing was to replace V2 with a 5751 instead of 12AX7. This helped to clean up the sound more and your guitar's volume knob has more control. The tone controls on the amp have more of an impact as well due to the reduced gain of the tone stage. Last of all, run the master between 6-7 and adjust your preamp between 4-6 depending on how much overall volume you need. Use the guitar volume knob to clean up the sound as necessary and dial it to 10 for crunch.

I was able to discuss this Michael Soldano a few years back at NAMM and when I did, he had great big Cheshire Cat grin and said: "Sweet Spot of the amp".

you can't disagree with me because I said it wouldn't clean up as much as "I" like :grin:

I too swapped tubes (I think I put a 12AT7 in as well as putting in JJs for the power), but it also comes downs to it being an EL amp which I never like EL cleans. For overdrive, I'll take ELs all day long.

I need to learn about tubez at some point. I have no idea about all the differences. I just buy amps that I think sound good.

you can't disagree with me because I said it wouldn't clean up as much as "I" like :grin:

:spit:

Nice!

I too swapped tubes (I think I put a 12AT7 in as well as putting in JJs for the power), but it also comes downs to it being an EL amp which I never like EL cleans. For overdrive, I'll take ELs all day long.

I too do like the 6V6's for the clean sound that you speak of. But at the sametime, I love the EL sound for both dirt and some cleans - it is the Vox and certain Marshall tones.

Never was a fan of the 12AT7. They're primary use was for the power stage drivers as well as reverb drivers. Those 12AT7's are high current type tubes and can cause issues with older amps. The 5751's are a lower gain 12AX7 with no high current draw issues. Sadly, 5751's cost a little more that 12AT7's so most people will go and purchase the cheaper tube more readily available tube.

I need to learn about tubez at some point. I have no idea about all the differences. I just buy amps that I think sound good.

Never to late to start!

Last edited:
Back