jello's Bariatric journal...

OK, that's more like it!

Switched up my eating patterns a little bit and ratcheted up the exercise some...resulted in dropping that extra pounds plus four more...8)

OH SHIT!!! You have overtaken me!!!! :eek: :thu:

Looks like I'm right on schedule with starting back on the routine tomorrow! :wink:

Glad things are going well.

I haven't been on much, so here's a quick report on my progress.

I'm down about 80lbs. From 306 to 225-ish. They say the surgery helps you lose 75-80% of what you need, to and they are right. As soon as I hit that 75# mark I hit a plateau.

It's all good though,

Today I'm going to find out how removing 45% of my body has affected my golf swing...

How'd it go?

While I still need to trim down, I think my gut is small enough to get out of the way, but I really need to work on getting some flexibility back.

Awesome! What is the ultimate goal weight?
They want me to get to 185...I've already decided that for me breaking 200 will do just fine...and to be completely honest if I stay pretty much where I am that won't bother me either...

At this point I'm somewhere between a 40 and a 42" waist, down from 54, and I'm against bone pretty much all the way around so I that's probably whre I'm going to stay, plus I'm wearing flat front pants whre I used to have no choice but wear pleated...I'm in XL t-shirts, down from 3x/4x...I have replaced my entire wardrobe...

There is a significant amount of excess flesh on my upper arms, stomach, and thighs, and it's not symetrical...my formerly perky man-boobs are saggy and deflated...surgery is not an option due to the expense and complete lack of medical necessity that would force the insurance to pay for it...there will be no going shirtless in public for jello...and shorts must reach the knees...

I'm pretty sure I wrote about all of this before...it's not a complaint, just the reality of the situation...and it's something I knew was going to happen to my body at this point...

I ran into an acquaintance who hasn't seen me for a couple years and did not know about the surgery...he came up to me all concerned "are yo OK? What happened to you?" When I explained it to him he told me he was hesitant to approach me because he thought I must have cancer or some horrible disease and wasn't sure of what to say...

There's a woman I know in NYC who works in a marginally legal field who had the full bypass about 5 years ago and has lost over 300 pounds...I sent her a message the other day updating her on where I'm at...she asked me how I'm feeling...and it occurred to me that at this point I have no idea how I feel, or at least I have no frame of reference to describe it or compare it to...and she understood exactly what I meant...

How'd it go?

While I still need to trim down, I think my gut is small enough to get out of the way, but I really need to work on getting some flexibility back.
Not well...can't get solid hits on anything longer than a 7 iron, hit the longer irons mostly off the toe and yanked the driver and fairway wood dead left every time...but I can putt like a pro...made a birdie today on a 125 yard par 3, parked an 8 iron 2 feet right of the hole and drained the putt...my legs were about done in by the 15th hole and it was a struggle to get back in from there...now I'm just vegging in front of the TV with my legs elevated watching the Mets game and the Nascar race...

Not well...can't get solid hits on anything longer than a 7 iron, hit the longer irons mostly off the toe and yanked the driver and fairway wood dead left every time...but I can putt like a pro...made a birdie today on a 125 yard par 3, parked an 8 iron 2 feet right of the hole and drained the putt...my legs were about done in by the 15th hole and it was a struggle to get back in from there...now I'm just vegging in front of the TV with my legs elevated watching the Mets game and the Nascar race...
Adjustments and time...

For those toe hits, if they are fairly constant, step a bit closer to the ball.
I made that adjustment last year and it made a world of difference.

For the yank to the left, is it a hook, or is it straight left off the face of the club?
Either way, it's something you can probably correct if you could just see your swing.
Check out some apps that will record your swing and give you a bit of an analysis. Some of them are free, too.

Not that you need to get perfect, but fixes like that can make the game fun again. You can spend more energy strolling the course instead of expending it on all the extra swings.

Adjustments and time...

For those toe hits, if they are fairly constant, step a bit closer to the ball.
I made that adjustment last year and it made a world of difference.

For the yank to the left, is it a hook, or is it straight left off the face of the club?
Either way, it's something you can probably correct if you could just see your swing.
Check out some apps that will record your swing and give you a bit of an analysis. Some of them are free, too.

Not that you need to get perfect, but fixes like that can make the game fun again. You can spend more energy strolling the course instead of expending it on all the extra swings.
It's a dead pull left...I'm coming over the top with the long clubs and have to tame a flying elbow...the longer irons I can feel myself tucking the right elbow and not getting a full turn on the downswing...now it's just a matter of making the adjustments...I'm 2 rounds into the game with the new body, I'm just having fun with it...and it's going to be at least 3 weeks before I get back out...

They want me to get to 185...I've already decided that for me breaking 200 will do just fine...and to be completely honest if I stay pretty much where I am that won't bother me either...

At this point I'm somewhere between a 40 and a 42" waist, down from 54, and I'm against bone pretty much all the way around so I that's probably whre I'm going to stay, plus I'm wearing flat front pants whre I used to have no choice but wear pleated...I'm in XL t-shirts, down from 3x/4x...I have replaced my entire wardrobe...

There is a significant amount of excess flesh on my upper arms, stomach, and thighs, and it's not symetrical...my formerly perky man-boobs are saggy and deflated...surgery is not an option due to the expense and complete lack of medical necessity that would force the insurance to pay for it...there will be no going shirtless in public for jello...and shorts must reach the knees...

I'm pretty sure I wrote about all of this before...it's not a complaint, just the reality of the situation...and it's something I knew was going to happen to my body at this point...

I ran into an acquaintance who hasn't seen me for a couple years and did not know about the surgery...he came up to me all concerned "are yo OK? What happened to you?" When I explained it to him he told me he was hesitant to approach me because he thought I must have cancer or some horrible disease and wasn't sure of what to say...

There's a woman I know in NYC who works in a marginally legal field who had the full bypass about 5 years ago and has lost over 300 pounds...I sent her a message the other day updating her on where I'm at...she asked me how I'm feeling...and it occurred to me that at this point I have no idea how I feel, or at least I have no frame of reference to describe it or compare it to...and she understood exactly what I meant...

I see pictures of Fat Me and I don't recognize myself. I see pictures of new me, and I don't recognize myself.

I feel different, but I don't know how. I mean, there's the obvious: I'm healthier. I can move better. I can shop at clothing stores that also don't sell tents.

But, my personality is different, and I don't how, or in what way. I just feel like a different person inside and I'm working on trying to figure him out.

Back