Hot or Not? Jeffrey Yong

wok

Unholy Meat Obelisk
Jeffrey Yong 10-String Acoustic
Moved by the tragic March 2011 earthquake in Japan, Malaysian luthier Jeffrey Yong designed and completed this 10-string guitar in his Kuala Lumpur shop in time to present it in Montreal. Yong used the Southeast Asian woods monkeypod (which is similar to koa) for the body and blackwood for the fretboard and bridge, and he says the armrest, side port, and lower-bout cutaway are standard features on his instruments. The headstock is an interesting half-slotted, half-pegged design, and the soundhole, back, and bottom strap button are appointed unevenly—all representative of a seismic shift. To get a chimey sound, its D and G strings have octave pairs, and the B and high E have unison strings.

StreamImage.aspx

64677bbaf3c78a8d9f790835395d40ae.jpg

cb21a1a638c761adc90b4e3dd8443639.jpg

It is very pretty.

Not sure about 10 strings, but if that was a 6 and it was "toned down" a bit as far as the over the top wood goes, I would really, really like it.

Love it. Would love a straight 6 string version even more but keep the wood choices as they are.

"Moved by the earthquake..."

I don't see what this has to do with the earthquake, unless he was cutting the wood for this one when it happened. That would explain the uneven look.

No thanks.

Last edited:
Amazing looking craftsmanship and intriguing idea. There's no way my wallet can handle it. Also, I'd prefer a true cutaway and not the scallop that they're going with.

Back