Question: Jazz folks, some recommendations?

Sonny is in his 80s now, but... There is nothing better in all of music than when he is in "on" mode in concert.

Sonny is in his 80s now, but... There is nothing better in all of music than when he is in "on" mode in concert.
Yeah...I'm really digging both the intimacy of the live recording and his playing. Plus the band, too. For something recorded in the 1950's it sounds like "punk bebop" compared to the more cerebral MDQ stuff that I've been listening to.

Bill Evans - . . . . Sunday at the Village Vanguard

Great lists, IMO. Not sure how much I'd have to add at this point, other than that this album (get the version with both it and Waltz for Debby if you can - it may be a remaster, I'm not sure) is one of the few things that really makes me emotional. Such an amazing performance and such an amazing recording. And then, boom, LaFaro was gone. :(

Great lists, IMO. Not sure how much I'd have to add at this point, other than that this album (get the version with both it and Waltz for Debby if you can - it may be a remaster, I'm not sure) is one of the few things that really makes me emotional. Such an amazing performance and such an amazing recording. And then, boom, LaFaro was gone. :(

LaFaro did some great work with Ornette, as well. Not as great a fit as Charlie Haden was, but you can hear the two of them (LaFaro and Haden) playing together on the Ornette's double quartet recordings.

Last edited:
:run:

Songbird-The-Best-Of-Kenny-G-CD2-cover.jpg

Is that your opinion?

Ethan Iverson (of The Bad Plus) interviewing Fred Hersch:

EI: Ok, let’s go back. There was somebody older I wanted to talk about. Oh, Brubeck. What do we feel about Brubeck, really?

FH: We don’t feel about Brubeck, sad to say. I mean, for a guy who arguably has sold more records than any other Jazz pianist in Jazz history, I don’t think he’s influenced much of anybody. It’s a void.

EI: It doesn’t exist for us, it’s a strange thing where of course we all probably checked him out at a certain point, but then...

FH: Yeah, I remember the one album I had, which was, I think, Time Further Out, and I thought it was cool, but you know, it never… I always found it very stiff, and if it wasn’t for Paul Desmond, it wouldn’t be that interesting to me.

EI: Yeah, I think that’s what we always say — we love Paul Desmond, but we don’t need the all of the piano solos.

FH: And on all of the odd-metered tunes, he soloed in four.

EI: For all the rep of inventing odd meters, he is uncomfortable in mixed meter.

FH: Yeah, and he’s been making records for 60 years, and has sold however many bazillion records, and I don’t know anybody he’s influenced. He never comes up in interviews.

But WTF do they know?

I guess Brubeck bought those bazillions of records himself. Or not.

Ah, of course. It always comes back to the statistics. Well, this certainly explains your previously inexplicable worship of Al Di Meola, RTF, Stanley Jordan, Carlos Santana, Weather Report, Headhunters, etc., as the greatest jazz acts of all-time. I take it that you feel that Louis Armstrong peaked with "Hello Dolly!" and "What a Wonderful World"?

Greatest of all time? Please provide links. Oh, and Pops peaked with The Hot 5s & 7s. I think you have me confused with Smurfco again.

By the way Stanley Jordan has the worst haircut in jazz.

Greatest of all time? Please provide links. Oh, and Pops peaked with The Hot 5s & 7s. I think you have me confused with Smurfco again.

By the way Stanley Jordan has the worst haircut in jazz.

Well, you used Time Out commercial success as an argument for influence. By that logic, a list of best-selling records should be sufficient. Play by your own rules. You can't eat your cake twice.

Well, you used Time Out commercial success as an argument for influence. By that logic, a list of best-selling records should be sufficient. Play by your own rules. You can't eat your cake twice.

Influence on whom? Let's just poll everybody.

And sure you can eat your cake twice. You eat, purge, then eat it again.

so by this measure, Chuck Mangione and Kenny G are hugely influential jazz musicians.

And consumers of such are enjoying their gateway Jazz and going out and buying Charlie Parker hard bop and Art Ensemble of Chicago records.

Back