January songwriting thread.....

Should be in by the deadline. As mentioned earlier, it's for the "tiny desk" contest, so it's a 1 take deal, taken from the live video, tho we used more than one mic. I'm pretty sure I finished writing it this month, tho.
I was going to do the Tiny Desk thing, but then decided it wasn't worth doing for me. I'm not sure being on a Lagunitas tour would help my counseling cred. :grin:

I was going to do the Tiny Desk thing, but then decided it wasn't worth doing for me. I'm not sure being on a Lagunitas tour would help my counseling cred. :grin:
It's really just a way to impose a deadline, which is the only way I get anything done. We want some more videos up, and this makes me do it.

I may have some time over the next few evenings and on Saturday to get something done. It takes me quite awhile to get a full blown recording done so it might just be a acoustic/vocal demo at this point. IF I can get this song in gear. The last one came fast. This one is not. And I'm generally not happy when I try to rush a song - but procrastinating is not helping any so I need to try and get this done.

I may have some time over the next few evenings and on Saturday to get something done. It takes me quite awhile to get a full blown recording done so it might just be a acoustic/vocal demo at this point. IF I can get this song in gear. The last one came fast. This one is not. And I'm generally not happy when I try to rush a song - but procrastinating is not helping any so I need to try and get this done.
Finding that middle ground is tough. In retrospect, I rushed my last CD; I am trying to take more time on this next one.

Finding that middle ground is tough. In retrospect, I rushed my last CD; I am trying to take more time on this next one.

I was giving some thought the other night into producing a CD if I can get 12 or so songs I really like ready. I have several friends that are really good musicians, and one of my closest friends has a full blown studio in his basement. I think he might cut me a deal on studio time, and some of the parts I could cut direct at home to save money.

Sometimes I find that If I actually sit down and start something the ideas can flow a little more easily.
The best thing for me is having an office guitar. I can use it between appointments and have probably written 3/4 of my recent songs at the office. Sometimes it starts with a chord progression, sometimes with a title or a phrase. No matter where it starts, working at it brings it into focus.

I would agree completely. I have to just start and let things unfold organically. Not saying that what unfolds is that good...but...
One of my biggest obstacles is my own perfectionism. Now, I'm FAR from perfect but many times I don't "see" the riff or melody at first because I'm waiting for the "perfect" piece to hit me. When what I really need to do is work at it and it almost always falls into place by itself.
That's the biggest thing that's kept me from writing more than I have all these years.

One of my biggest obstacles is my own perfectionism. Now, I'm FAR from perfect but many times I don't "see" the riff or melody at first because I'm waiting for the "perfect" piece to hit me. When what I really need to do is work at it and it almost always falls into place by itself.
That's the biggest thing that's kept me from writing more than I have all these years.
I'm too much the opposite way; I'm always ready to say, "good enough." :grin:

I did work on my song this weekend. I completely rewrote the melody line to the chorus. But I'm also far from finished, so definitely nothing from me this month. I'm going to try to get some more progress on the song tonight.

Every time I've done that, I kick myself for not having fixed it when I should have.
For the most part, I am shameless. :grin:

I must say, however, that I now feel much of my last CD was too rushed and I could have spent more time developing some of the songs. I'm being more careful with this next one, though it is progressing well; I have seven songs written and recorded. I think the material is stronger this time.

Sorry about the loss, but.... (hard drive backups are basic computer hygiene)

Anyway, don't let that hold you back from moving on and recording more songs. It's all about the process (as Sixers fans would have you know).

Back