Jamaican Jerk chicken recipes?

Jbird

Kick Henry Jackassowski
Does anyone have a good Jamaican Jerk recipe?

A couple of weeks ago I was in Michigan City, IN and figured I'd hit up baimun's Jamaican Jerk place he posted about. He gets his off their food truck, but they had a brick and mortar place in Michigan City.

I say 'HAD', because I found out that while the owners still have the food truck, the brick and mortar restaurant is permanently closed :cry:

So, yesterday I made my first attempt at making my own, using this recipe:
http://dinnerthendessert.com/slow-cooker-jerk-chicken/

Came out bland, and no heat whatsoever, even though I used the jalapeno seeds and ribs.

The chicken is very tender though, so that recipe might be a good starting base. But it needs other spices in it (imo) and definitely a hotter pepper.

Has any one here made their own Jerk before, and how did it turn out? Recipe?

I do it the easy way:

product_jerk-seasoning.jpg

slathered on some bone-in chicken thighs then on the grill.

I have one from Food and Wine magazine from years ago. Really good. I will find it and post. You may be able to find it on epicurious.com

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I do it the easy way:

product_jerk-seasoning.jpg

slathered on some bone-in chicken thighs then on the grill.

Smoke with oak and cherry or oak and orange @ 250-275°F until 165°F internally, then finish in the oven at ~ 350°F for about 30 min. Good crispy skin.

key differences between the food and wine recipe and that slow cooker one:

more spices! (note the quantities of allspice, nutmeg, etc called for)
scotch bonnets/habeneros as opposed to jalapenos (hotter yes, but also a different flavor: that fruity tropical chili flavor rather than the green vegetal chili flavor from jalapenos))
no slow cooker (the char that you get from grilling is part of the proper flavor)

key differences between the food and wine recipe and that slow cooker one:

more spices! (note the quantities of allspice, nutmeg, etc called for)
scotch bonnets/habeneros as opposed to jalapenos (hotter yes, but also a different flavor: that fruity tropical chili flavor rather than the green vegetal chili flavor from jalapenos))
no slow cooker (the char that you get from grilling is part of the proper flavor)

Agreed. I've used the stuff Lerxst used and added habanero powder and threw some allspice in the water pan. Allegedly, you use pimiento wood for authenticity, I've priced it, (nyet) and found oak and a fruit wood combo are passable for the smoke.

Into the food processor:
2 bunches of scallions
1/2 an onion
Fresh ginger root, .75-1.25"
4 cloves of garlic
4 whole Scotch Bonnet peppers

Make a paste. Then add:
1 T brown sugar
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
3 T kosher salt
2.5 tsp ground allspice
.5 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 cup distilled vinegar
3 T soy sauce
2 T canola oil

Mix well in food processor then add paste to chicken in ziplock bag. Marinate in refrigerator 24 hours.

Cook in smoker at 250* F until done. Should not be smoked, but have a flavor like it was cooked over a pimento fire. I use a tiny bit of pecan sawdust mixed with Apple sawdust.

Last edited:
Into the food processor:
2 bunches of scallions
1/2 an onion
Fresh ginger root, .75-1.25"
4 cloves of garlic
4 whole Scotch Bonnet peppers

Make a paste. Then add:
1 T brown sugar
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
3 T kosher salt
2.5 tsp ground allspice
.5 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 cup distilled vinegar
3 T soy sauce
2 T canola oil

Mix well in food processor then add paste to chicken in ziplock bag. Marinate in refrigerator 24 hours.

Cool in smoker at 250* F until done. Should not be smoked, but have a flavor like it was cooked over a pimento fire. I use a tiny bit of pecan sawdust mixed with Apple sawdust.
Now that sounds gooooood!!! I'm may try this, this weekend.

I only used a crockpot recipe because I work 3rd shift. Throw everything in there and sleep while it cooks :) Get up and eat dinner :embarrassed:

It was a decent 'base' recipe...it basically looked like jerk chicken after it was done. But it didn't taste like jerk chicken. Really not much flavor and no heat at all.

After some serious thought, if I were to use that recipe again (because of the crockpot) I would add some ginger, at least, and use a more serious pepper, probably an habanero. Maybe some other spices as well, but I would have to think about what ones.

The chicken turned out really nice and tender, and after I added a bit of Yellow Bird hot sauce, the flavor was much more where it was supposed to be for me.

510%2B7NZznsL._SY355_.jpg

Back