I've never experienced this with an amp.

FWIW, I have blown a tube. One 12AX7 died during a gig. I had a 6L6 redplate prior to a gig. I've also redplated an EL84. My buddy blew an EL84 that took the screen resistors with it. It happens.

If someone is playing your amp and it blows, wouldn't it have blown on you just the same? Either it was worn out or the ohms/watts weren't correct, but it doesn't matter who's playing, right? idn_smilie

But I get not letting someone play your guitar, I've seen those get their fair share of abuse.:rawk:

On a side note, I've had the opposite happen once, lol. I was playing a gig once where a guy came up to me and told me he had something he thought I'd like and left the bar. (I figured he'd just had one too many.) He returned about 15 minutes later with a '72 Marshall Plexi. Just set it down and said, "Wanna do your next set with this?"

I did. I loved it. The venue owner did not... :embarrassed:ntome:

i did have a tube fail once. the drummer said "it was doing a sparkly thing inside before the smoke started coming out"
but that was a '64 bandmaster, in the late 80's. i presume a grid burn thru or something. i got the power switch off and the fireworks ended.

but that's ONCE in 48 years. and that tube, as far as i could tell, was an original 1964 tube.

edit: oh wait. there was this other time, when i was about 14 and "experimented" with using different tubes in an amp. if the prongs fit the socket, i put it in and turned on the amp. i got one wrong and it did burst. :grin:

Well he did say people trying to blow all kinds of things though his amp. Maybe he had some folks come around with this stuff. icon_conf

5a8f1a13f761dbba72335d0f601ec8a8.jpg

Back