I've got mixed feelings about this

BlackCat

American Greaser
Knocked out a quick demo of about twelve songs in the bandleaders studio. Either one or two takes for everything. Trying to get it done quickly rather than make it perfect.

What I like is that it's a good mix.
Live we struggle with the drums being too loud. Between the drummer being from a heavy rock background and not really wanting to change his style. That and our tiny PA.

I like my guitar sound (I take the first solo) but I'm a bit frustrated that my chops aren't better by now.

Mix sounds pretty good. No other way to do this type of thing than with as little takes as possible. Sounds more organic that way.

Nice!

How did you record it?

Also, my favorite place to steal licks for tunes like this (besides low hanging fruit like Chuck Berry and Elvis tunes) is Twenty Flight Rock by Eddie Cochrane. All My Lovin' by the Beatles also has a nice lead with stuff that is very stealable.

We recorded it on some kind of old 16 track digital deck. I insisted on micing my amp but everything else was through processors. The drums were electronic. It's kind of a soundless studio since he needs to keep the sound levels pretty low.
I think his best piece of equipment is his vocal mic.
By the way I love that phrase "low hanging fruit".

Back