It's Not Easy Being A Front Man

He just needs to break down and use a teleprompter. Ozzy is living proof that people don’t give a shit about your voice as long as you can start a verse on time.

DLR wasn't a great singer in 1978. Time hasn't treated his voice (or timing) well either.

What I will say to Dave's credit, is that he puts on a hell of a show. The few times I saw VH with Sammy, the showmanship was nowhere near what it is with DLR, even though the vocals normally did sound great.

I caught the aired performance from Monday on my DVR last night. Dave struggled throughout. It looked like he may have been having monitor problems and maybe couldn't hear the mix very well. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, because even my wife said it sounded like a bad night at a Van Halen Karaoke bar. The rest of the guys sounded pretty tight and Eddie looked to be enjoying himself. I think I saw Eddie shoot a couple of annoyed glances Dave's way though. May be a long (or possibly abbreviated) tour.

DLR wasn't a great singer in 1978. Time hasn't treated his voice (or timing) well either.

What I will say to Dave's credit, is that he puts on a hell of a show. The few times I saw VH with Sammy, the showmanship was nowhere near what it is with DLR, even though the vocals normally did sound great.

Watching the videos from Jimmy Kimmel show this week, that's what seems to be lacking - the showmanship.

I was watching and thinking, his lousy vocals didn't matter so much when he had the pipes to do the screaming thing while jumping off the drum riser.

His vocals on Hot for Teacher were pretty good for most of the song.

I only watched Panama. What bugged me is him doing the hip thrusts. He's just to old for that. It looked skeevy.

That said, they sounded ok and I feel bad he smashed himself in the face.

And the other three songs.

Hot For Teacher sounded really good. Haven't gotten to listen to him singing You Really Got Me, yet.

Last edited:
I could sing those songs better than DLR at this point. In fairness, he's way more flexible than I am though :)

Sad...

How does he sing while smacking gum like that?

Some might answer, "not very well". :lol:

Seriously, they did sound better the 2nd night. I bet Dave was quite a handful to deal with in his younger days.

How does he sing while smacking gum like that?

Some might answer, "not very well". :lol:

Seriously, they did sound better the 2nd night. I bet Dave was quite a handful to deal with in his younger days.
It was actually all one shot taped and split over two nights. James posted the first partial performance of Panama where Dave wacked his nose in the OP where it turned into a jam while Dave got patched up then they restarted Panama.

Still sounds like Dave to me. Eddie looks and sounds very good...Alex, too. Wolfie needs to mix in a salad...

Good luck on tour, boys. You'll need it.

They have all aged, but I'll give 'em credit, they all look to be in better shape than I am. Well...Wolfie excluded. :)
I think they've been cryogenically freezing Alex during inactive times since 1991. He doesn't look any different now than he did then.

I just couldn't believed how old all of them looked!

Well, They are all in their late 50s/early 60s.

Considering how well they took care of themselves from the 70s through the early 00s, it's a wonder they are still alive.

I thought that HFT and YRGM sounded pretty good. Especially considering the 14 stitches in Dave's nose. That had to hurt like a son of a bitch.

I think they've been cryogenically freezing Alex during inactive times since 1991. He doesn't look any different now than he did then.

Didn't he get all into fitness and vegetarianism around that time? Probably explains a lot.

Meanwhile, in 2004 Eddie looked like he'd be dead in months. He's bounced back pretty well... thanks in part to cosmetic dentistry.

I say the same thing to myself every morning. :wink:

We all say that. I know that both you and I do.

Well, They are all in their late 50s/early 60s.

Considering how well they took care of themselves from the 70s through the early 00s, it's a wonder they are still alive.

The last time I saw Eddie was on Two and a Half Men and he didn't look that old. What also made it funny Eddie was starting to hop around and I thought how was his hip doing?

The clip that showed Alex got me thinking when did Charlie Watts join the band?

I thought that HFT and YRGM sounded pretty good. Especially considering the 14 stitches in Dave's nose. That had to hurt like a son of a bitch.

I agree. Made me wonder though when the Geritol sign was going up?

We all say that. I know that both you and I do.

The last time I saw Eddie was on Two and a Half Men and he didn't look that old. What also made it funny Eddie was starting to hop around and I thought how was his hip doing?

The clip that showed Alex got me thinking when did Charlie Watts join the band?

I agree. Made me wonder though when the Geritol sign was going up?

Eddie looks a hell of a lot better now than he did here...in the mid 2000s.

vanhalen.jpg

Back