Its amazing that I own three recording interfaces but

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
none of them will work with my laptop except for the one that doesn't have enough inputs for what I need.

:annoyed:

Isn't that great? Universal Serial Bus is apparently not so universal when it comes to recording gear. I picked up a gently used Alesis Multimix for my brother in law, and he couldn't get it to work with his laptop. Would work with my computer, but not his. :facepalm:

Homer-doh-square.jpg

Here is the problem. My Digidesign 003+ is Firewire, the Presonus 8 channel is ADAT output (it was an expansion 8 channnels for the 003) and my Mbos only has one mic input.

Ah. That's a whole different bag of cats, but no less annoying. Time to go shopping!
Yeah...like I'm made of money :mad:

I'm actually looking at B stock on eBay this morning. It would be nice to get a copy of ProTools with something so that I don't need to learn Reaper since this is going on my windows 7 laptop for the video lesson audio.

I don't need anything really killer because its just going to be mixed with video and then compressed for online streaming to be listened to on laptop speakers for the most part but getting a new copy of PT would really help me out a great deal.

couldn't you just use a small mixer dealie, run your mics into that, and then that into the Mbos?

I was thinking of doing something like that so I could record the band at my house, and not pay someone else to do it

couldn't you just use a small mixer dealie, run your mics into that, and then that into the Mbos?

I was thinking of doing something like that so I could record the band at my house, and not pay someone else to do it
I don't want to have to submix anything is I can help it

I bought this last year;
611i-D5bJTL._SL1200_.jpg

The only problem is that it wants to send all items into one track on the computer. I was hoping to record on multi-tracks.

Mark, yeah, I can understand that.

Gary, that was a concern for me when I was contemplating this whole ordeal.

You know I've always had stand alone stuff, the old tascam dat then on to Yamaha 24 trac.... I had a brief stint with digi designs and pro tools. That didn't work out, unfortunately I don't think my desktop could handle it and my learning curve wasn't where it should be

I now use a lot of zoom stuff and a Yamaha cd writer

My goal is to learn pro tools and give that a try again but ill probably stick with Mac computer power

I hate all the plug in stuff, I'd rather use a great mic sucking up sounds from a real amp using real reverb.....

You know I've always had stand alone stuff, the old tascam dat then on to Yamaha 24 trac.... I had a brief stint with digi designs and pro tools. That didn't work out, unfortunately I don't think my desktop could handle it and my learning curve wasn't where it should be

I now use a lot of zoom stuff and a Yamaha cd writer

My goal is to learn pro tools and give that a try again but ill probably stick with Mac computer power

I hate all the plug in stuff, I'd rather use a great mic sucking up sounds from a real amp using real reverb.....
The plugins are quite good these days. I prefer micing an amp too but the reverb plugins and whatnot that El Borrachito has been using on my album are really good.

micros_singstar.jpg

If you only need 2 dynamic mics running at the same time. And no, I'm not joking, works like a champ with windows and Samplitude and works with any dynamic mics as long as you can make it fit into the inputs ( they're inset a bit). A quick cheap fix.

I just realized that I never updated this thread. I ended up buying an M-Audio mobile pre that was B-stock on Amazon. I put a Large Diaphragm Condenser mic over my head for the vocal part and another one on the amp and recorded everything into Protools SE. Then I dump the WAV files into Final Cut Pro on my Mac and sync the audio to the picture. This was the end result:

Back