Italian Beef sammich: wet or dry?

Italian Beef, wet or dry?

• Total voters

Jbird

Kick Henry Jackassowski
I found an awesome place in Kalamazoo for Italian beef sandwiches, Ray Ray's Italian Beef & Sausage.

It's a little hole-in-the-wall place, 2 tables and a small shelf along the back wall where 3 or 4 people could stand and eat.

They have Italian beef sandwiches, Italian sausage sandwiches, Chicago Dogs, burgers, & pulled pork/BBQ.

I didn't get the Italian beef, never had one before, I ended up getting 'The Sweetness', Italian sausage with sautéed peppers, mushrooms, & onion, topped with a sweet marinara sauce and Asiago cheese.

Anyways, I want to go back and try an Italian Beef, but whats the proper/best way to get it? Wet? (where they dip it in au jus) Or dry?

I don't know if those are a thing around here...I'm sure someplace makes 'em but I haven't had one.

But if I did, I would get the gooey dipped version and use a fork. :embarrassed:

They should be served wet with hot giardiniera and/or sweet peppers. Preferably with fresh cut fries.

P1220292.JPG

Definitely moist.

I don't like it slopping wet, to the point where it disintegrates on your plate, but definitely very moist.

Get it wet -- to eat it you need to learn this:

If you get it dry in Chicago, you are likely to get the stinkeye at best -- at least, that's the way it used to be in the 70s when I lived there. Another way you could get a punched by a restaurant counter guy would be to order a "Hawaiian" pizza. Perhaps they're a bit more friendly there these days?

God how I miss Chicago red hots (aka Vienna beef kosher dogs) and Italian beef! There is no place in the South Bay area I can get them, and it's the only thing I miss about Chicago...

God how I miss Chicago red hots (aka Vienna beef kosher dogs) and Italian beef! There is no place in the South Bay area I can get them, and it's the only thing I miss about Chicago...
You're in luck! There is a Portillo's close to you in Buena Park, CA. That's much closer than Chicago.

Portillo's and Al's also ship.

Most things that are served wet I usually get the 'wet' on the side so I can regulate.........

Back