Hot or Not? Italia

Reminds me of these basses, which I dig far more than the guitar version:

3765692554_c773ae4f3b_o.jpg

This is the Eastwood version of the original Ampegs that I remember from seeing Danko play.

Here's Italia's variation on the theme which isn't really hitting the right aesthetic spots for me either:

3765692552_650a2d38ed_o.jpg

A hollow-body version with two f-holes might be an interesting idea.

Lastly, here's a partial shot of one with Rick playing it...fretless no less:

rick-danko-bw-620x354.jpg

Looks weird but I can see how having separate pickup selectors for the bass strings and treble strings could produce some interesting tones. Do not like the jack socket on the front of the pickguard as that's just asking for the trem arm to fall down and clatter the lead sticking out of it.

I played one of those 3 plus years ago. Yes, it is a real f-hole, and those are offset coil humbuckers. like a Precision Bass has, with a selector switch for the upper, and lower sets of coils. It was an OK guitar, but didn't really wow me.

preview.jpg

Italia Guitars: Inspired by the Sixties with 21st Century technologies. The coolest looking guitars that play and sound great! Looking cool and sounding hot are what these guitars are all about!
Named after an historic town in Italy, the Imola features a korina wood body and a maple neck and sounds as great as it looks.

Specifications:
Body: korina
Neck: hard maple
Fingerboard: rosewood
Frets: 22 med. jumbo, 25.5" scale
Pickups: Italia duplex
Bridge: Wilkinson WVP tremolo
Controls: 1 volume, 1 tone, 5-way toggle, 3 duplex pickup selectors
Tuning Keys: Wilkinson EZ Lock Tuners
Hardware: chrome
I like everything but the whammy bar. It looks in the way. It reminds me of those funky Japanese guitars from the 60's and 70"s, and I love the vibe that Italian design gives off.

Back