Listen to this - Isolated Nirvana Vocal Tracks

Awesome. These are fantastic. You kind of forget how different and stunningly powerful Cobain's voice really was.

True. Another thing that blew me away was the lyric in In Bloom is "He knows not what it means".

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I suppose Kurt did a passable job on the Nevermind album but THIS is the shit...

The story behind this video is awesome (except for the poor guy who got stiffed).

I have it on good authority that Courtney's vocals were "sweetened" on "Live Through This" (i.e., somebody else sang most of them), I imagine this trend continued on her subsequent releases.

The story behind this video is awesome (except for the poor guy who got stiffed).

I have it on good authority that Courtney's vocals were "sweetened" on "Live Through This" (i.e., somebody else sang most of them), I imagine this trend continued on her subsequent releases.
I would imagine as well...lol

Not going to name drop too much, but have seen Courtney do her own takes. This is the sort of ridiculous crap that needs to be stamped out when it rears it's head on internet forums.

Not going to name drop too much, but have seen Courtney do her own takes. This is the sort of ridiculous crap that needs to be stamped out when it rears it's head on internet forums.

Oh, Courtney's definitely in the mix on "Live Through This"... but sometimes "backing vocals" is a euphemism. I don't want to get anyone in trouble for telling stories out of school, but even in the pre-digital era there was all kinds of black magic that could be done at the mix stage.

In the end, what matters is Courtney Love/Hole as entertainment product- either you like it or you don't, and it doesn't matter if Jimmy Page played the solo or Steve Hunter and Dick Wagner played all the guitar parts or if Milli Vanilli didn't sing at all.

Until you get on stage, anyway. Then it matters a LOT.

Do you mean that Courtney is a talent and that this is a mis-representation? It's a serious question. I'm not sure how you meant the above comment.

I would say that she is absolutely a talent. But more to the point, when you are friends with those who ran sessions (including mixing), you really hate to see whisper campaigns perpetuated.

I enjoy her singing, like I enjoy Neil Young's.

Much more in context, the 90's saw a LOT of use of "tricks" during mixing that was meant to emulate certain sounds for radio. I could go way down a rabbit hole on this but to summarize, I think Courtney gets short shrift for her abilities because of her persona. Not saying I'm a fan of the persona, but credit where it's due.

Agreed; as an individual whose personal experiences bridges the pre-internet / internet eras, and whose most-active years in music was right around that time (1991-1997), it's just a treasure trove.

Isn't there a website that's devoted to just stem tracks and kind of lets you ride the faders all day?

Someone on another forum sent a link to all kinds of stems from everything from David Bowie's "Ashes to Ashes" to ZZ Top's "Rough Boy" but by the time I found the actual links they were long since stale.

A lot of them are on youtube.

And frankly, I think an interesting thing would be to take one of Courtney's vocal tracks isolated and then write a whole new piece of music around it. I think she gets a lot of flack because of her persona being larger than life. Just like how Madonna or Lady Gaga got to be more known for how she acted in public rather than their music.

Hopefully her guitar was at least close to being in tune in those. I'm not sure what's going on in the Celebrity Skin clip, but is sounds like a combination of being waaay out of tune and just plain missing the chords.

In the end, what matters is Courtney Love/Hole as entertainment product- either you like it or you don't, and it doesn't matter if Jimmy Page played the solo or Steve Hunter and Dick Wagner played all the guitar parts or if Milli Vanilli didn't sing at all.

Until you get on stage, anyway. Then it matters a LOT.

Yeah, we wish. Taylor Swift is a lovely looking women, but she can't sing in pitch, let alone well.

And it doesn't matter at all to the masses that eat up her music and buy her concert tickets in huge quantities and quickly.

Yeah, we wish. Taylor Swift is a lovely looking women, but she can't sing in pitch, let alone well.

And it doesn't matter at all to the masses that eat up her music and buy her concert tickets in huge quantities and quickly.
She'll just shake it off...all the way to the bank.

Back