Is this a good deal? (USA Hamer)

I think that about the going rate for a USA Special like that. I've only ever played one in a used guitar shop and it was OK.

I had an old checkered headstock special. It was way nice but the neck was a bit noodly. I.e. It was easy to bend back and forth.

I was about to say "Hell yeah!" but I wasn't sure of my judgement. Seems from the other reactions my instinct was right.

If you got the cash grab it.

The GAS has passed.

2344.jpg

While I see the desire has passed, I'm a little suspect of the chipping/flaking and cracks around the neck joint. I'd pass unless I could see it in person and it were cheaper.

While I see the desire has passed, I'm a little suspect of the chipping/flaking and cracks around the neck joint. I'd pass unless I could see it in person and it were cheaper.

All IIRC > They used a glue that wasn't compatible with their finishes & it caused the finish in contact to discolor & eventually the finish in those areas gets brittle, cracks & flakes off. There's a shop out by Harrisburg, PA that did a lot of Hamer biz and would use a hypodermic needle to get superglue into the cracked areas to stabilize it before it could flake. The company always approached it as a cosmetic issue & pretty much ignored it until they finally resolved the issue in production. There's a couple issues like that that w/ the 90s-early '00s Hamers that I think are hard for anyone, who's not a brand loyalist, not to find disappointing.

Last edited:
Owning a USA Hamer is a "one of these days" item on my shopping list. But I've played those slab Specials and they're not life-changing. Hold out for a nice carved top Studio or Artist.

Yeah, that's about the going rate (now sold!). I bought mine new in 94 for $650. They're really great guitars. I think the Hameritus (the finish chipping) was more common on the opaque finishes.
I just posted a pic of mine in the P90 thread, so I won't go spamming it. It was my number one guitar for many years. I think mine's a 92.

I think that about the going rate for a USA Special like that. I've only ever played one in a used guitar shop and it was OK.

+1. That's the going rate, and they're mostly just ok. You never know, though -- some of them have to be pretty amazing, I'd think. This could be one of those. Go play it and find out ASAP!

+1. That's the going rate, and they're mostly just ok. You never know, though -- some of them have to be pretty amazing, I'd think. This could be one of those. Go play it and find out ASAP!

1. it is sold
2. it is in Missouri and smurfco is in Connecticut

..ASAP isn't so P

I've owned three, an 81, a 92 and a 95. They were all pretty great. The 81 had a pretty slim neck that I didn't get along with all that well. Boy, it sounded great though. Still have the 92 and 95. I've also owned Artist and Studio models. They were really well-made instruments, but the Specials just fit me really well. Straight forward rock machines.
IMG_2593.jpg

Back