is there a home-brew / zymurgy thread around here?

angry tele

L'effet c'est moi
ive been homebrewing for about 12 years now.

I all-grain, single to triple insfusions, and with the occasional decoction when Im feeling really authentic (naughty)
I have 2X 10 gallon rubbermaid mash/lauter tons, sparge arm, false bottom. 1 10 gallon brew pot, that boils +7 gallons of wort down to 5.5 gallons of wort in about 60 minutes. (with my kick ass 50,000 U propane burner)
1 emersion chiller counterfolw for chilling down to pitch temps, (I wanna get a plate chiller to knock down that lag time-takes over a half hour to cool down I wanna go from boil to pitch temp (68F) in 15 minutes)

I use pellet hops for bittering and flavor, and plug hops for flavor and aroma.(zero minute addittion, or dry hopped I use plugs) adjuncts your typical crystal 10-60L hops I like british nobles (fuggles.east kent gold), german
hersbrucker ,czech saaz. plus all the american varietal like cascade, willamette, centennial, simcoe northdown, et al...

yeast i make big starters (1/2gallon or bigger) with wyeast london ale wyeast ringwood ale wyeast london esb.

I dont keg. I bottle everything which is great for giving bottles way or taking them to the zoo or wherever bottles can be drunk. (legally)

I like to do traditional styles British bitters, esbs, and pale ales. Occasionally I make a balls-to-the-wall American IPA but usually i hit for a more well balanced quaffing beer.

anywho beer people rise up!!!! I know youre out there!!!!

Last edited:
Someone around here does, 2manband or something like that. I forget now. :embarrassed:

2 must have books for beginner or intermediate

how to brew by john j palmer -follow his direction/advise and your beer will be great
new brewing lager beer by -gregory noonan even if you dont lager this book is filled with great info on hops, malt, and all brewing process.

I've got a 10gal rig I haven't used for beer in almost 3 years. Loads of work travel and an array of other interests have essentially ended my homebrew hobby other than the occasional mead. Plus I've become more of a whiskey drinker than a beer drinker. But I do still love good beer.

Today I barreled 55 gallons of cyser (apple-honey wine) in a recently emptied bourbon barrel. It tasted pretty drinkable already. I hope this doesn't ruin it.

Pumping the first 50 gallons out of the plastic barrel.
522697_10100242465718598_1017123129_n.jpg

Topping of the barrel with the last 5 gallons from a separate carboy.
69673_10100242466362308_860494047_n.jpg

All filled up. The charcoal in the barrel has all floated to the top.
225239_10100242467844338_1511288650_n.jpg

BUNG'd!
207420_10100242468033958_1706831294_n.jpg

Tasting some of the charcoal. It tasted just like you'd think.
419781_10100242469565888_368090468_n.jpg

I learned how to make some very ghetto homebrewed wine when I was in Saudi.

Some of the guys I was working with were heavilly into it and distilling tequilla, whisky, samboucca and so on.

I've got a rig to make wine back here and I've done a few batches. Might put another one on for my brothers' wedding in the Summer.

Something I've always wanted to do, just never did it.

I had a buddy who was making strawberry wine once in July.
Went on vacation for a week, and his apartment got the power shut off.
His wine vat (whatever you call it) blew up, destroyed the carpet, he had to totally refinish the room......yadda, yadda, yadda.......

Thanks, maybe I'll just buy mine.

Long time homebrewer and have been active in AHA and BJCP leadership etc. Since having my son, I've done a lot more judging than brewing though...

My son and a friend brew every weekend. I don't get to taste it very often (they generally don't bottle, but simply use kegs), but I've often been impressed. They tend to specialize in west coast IPAs. I think a dream of theirs is to open a brew-pub. They have a lot of friends in the bar and restaurant business, so maybe it isn't too far-fetched.

wine is easier to make than beer. just pitch some yeast in grape juice and youre done. there is a potential for bottle bombs but if you're careful you can avoid them.
I had a few go off when I bottled in some really nice olive oil bottles. They were in my fridge when I heard some loud popping noise-i knew what it was right away. as long as you bottle in bottles that can take the pressure you wont have this problem. I use beer or sparkling cider bottles only now.

Something I've always wanted to do, just never did it.

I had a buddy who was making strawberry wine once in July.
Went on vacation for a week, and his apartment got the power shut off.
His wine vat (whatever you call it) blew up, destroyed the carpet, he had to totally refinish the room......yadda, yadda, yadda.......

Thanks, maybe I'll just buy mine.

Bumping this thread a year later.

While doing some research on a regional stout, I stumbled onto homebrewtalk.com, and several hours of perusing that forum later, and I'm interested.

I'm thinking of getting a starter one-gallon rig to see if I like it. Will let you know if/when it happens :embarrassed:.

Bumping this thread a year later.

While doing some research on a regional stout, I stumbled onto homebrewtalk.com, and several hours of perusing that forum later, and I'm interested.

I'm thinking of getting a starter one-gallon rig to see if I like it. Will let you know if/when it happens :embarrassed:.

While there are a slew of great brewers on that site, it's basically like the openjam of homebrew forums. IMO, you'll do better to read through www.howtobrew.com then post any questions you have to one of the smaller homebrew forums where you might be better than a bunch of copy/pasta or company-line answers.

I brew occasionally. I usually do porters and stouts--seems like they're harder to mess up.
I've done hard cider a few times too. It's so easy, and it tastes better than any store bought stuff.

While there are a slew of great brewers on that site, it's basically like the openjam of homebrew forums. IMO, you'll do better to read through www.howtobrew.com then post any questions you have to one of the smaller homebrew forums where you might be better than a bunch of copy/pasta or company-line answers.

Thanks for the advice! :thu:

Last edited:
Back